CHAPTER 5

It was midnight when a howl was heard from up ahead, piercing through the sound of the freezing gusts of wind. The pack stopped where they were and her father howled loudly to inform the other wolves of their arrival before moving further on. Sapphire knew the different howls carried different meanings, but she was yet to be taught all of them. She was only taught the ones for 'help', a 'battle cry', and the howl of an alpha, usually for rallying the entire pack together.

She got off her father a short distance before entering the territory of all the wolves. Wolves were gathered all around in groups, their furs ranging from white to grey, from purple to magenta, and from red to pink, all belonging to different species. Most were gathered near their own kind, the few intermingled groups seemingly discussing something of great importance and sorrow.

There were growls of disapproval around as the Midnight Wolves entered, all of them directed at Sapphire. Her father sensed this and was not pleased at the criticism, more so since they were not aware of Sapphire's situation. He howled loudly and the snow around him blew in a dust cloud, causing all the other wolves to fall silent instantly.

"No need for hostility, Midnight." A white male wolf growled approaching them. He carried an aura of authority, but also of mild hostility. Sapphire wondered if she was the only one who sensed it, or it was just directed at her.

"You should tell that to them, Icicle." Her father growled, stepping between Sapphire and Icicle.

"Calm down you both." A bright red female wolf sighed, slowly and harmlessly approaching the two, stopping to the side of them.

"I am calm, Rose." Both of them snarled in unison.

Rose slowly took a couple steps back from the heating situation, not wishing to get unnecessarily involved. That was the first time Sapphire saw a Blood Wolf, though this was the first time she saw a Winter Wolf too, she was not as interested in them due to their alpha's hostility.

"Just stop already, they have just arrived, let them rest for now." A greyish black wolf with a white zigzag on his side called out calmly as he stood beside Rose.

"We have rested well not long ago, it won't be necessary. I'd prefer for us to get straight to the matter at hand," Midnight demanded.

"And that matter is why you brought a human here," Icicle snarled.

"That is no human, that is my daughter you snow headed moron," Midnight snarled.

"Why is she in her humanoid form then, have you not taught her anything? How to behave in presence of other wolves? It is to be expected from you to not do such an important thing." Icicle growled stepping towards Sapphire as he bared his teeth, scaring her.

Midnight snarled and took a step towards Icicle with a snarl, not wanting to let him get even close to Sapphire. Storm and Rose nodded to each other and howled in perfect sync, a howl similar to Midnight's but with comparatively less authority. Sapphire felt a zap run through her body as she fell to the ground, her body not responding to her brain. Most of the other wolves also fell to the ground, the only ones still standing being the four alphas and Sapphire's mother, a display of the power which makes them an alpha, though it escaped her attention that her mother also remained standing.

"I expected it to work on you both too," Rose shrugged.

Midnight quickly pounced to Sapphire's side and lightly nudged her, making sure she wasn't hurt. The moonlight reflected off her metal band, which was noticed by Rose.

"What is that thing on her neck?" Rose questioned curiously.

"I have no clue, the humans put it on her. She has been unable to transform back since. From what I understand it interrupts the energy flow in one's body and also alerts the humans of their position," Midnight explained.