𝐈𝐈𝐈: 𝐀 Rising Star

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

         MAIA COULD sneak into cabins, the big house, and the kitchens to get a late-night snack without being caught.

But she couldn't tell a convincing lie.

Not in a sense that she couldn't go along with one or that she couldn't play dumb, she just couldn't come up with a good cover up story or lie for so long.

She never liked lying in the first place, but she also didn't want to share too much of the truth.

So, she kept quiet most of the time.

After all, she wasn't lying if she didn't say anything.

And that was simple for the most part - unless you had a talkative friend who had a high attention to detail. In which she had multiple.

One year ago, Maia was hidden behind the thick green leaves of the bushes below her with the vines hanging from the trees above. Subconsciously, she dug her nails into her forearm as she looked over at the big house in the distance. She let out a shaky breath - then berated herself for being so nervous. Gods, why was she shaking?

"Well," a voice said - making her jump and fall back. "Looks like no one saw us."

"Wha—" Maia cut herself off as she was met with a pair of blue eyes.

Then her surprised expression dropped .

He chuckled and offered her a hand, his fair skin in darkness was almost like the moon in the night sky. Even now she could still see the faint ink markings of flowers on his arm. His honey brown hair that he usually tied half into a ponytail was all currently curled down at the sides of his head.

"Jai," she said slowly as she took in a breath and raised a brow. " What're you doing here?"

"Oh, y'know, thought it was a nice night to go out for a walk. Get a breath of fresh air, all that jazz." Jai said with a shrug.

She shook her head, but took his hand, nonetheless.

"Wow. You're warm." He said - eyes a bit wide as he helped her stand. " It's freezing out here, I don't get you."

"Are you here to take my body heat or to help me out, Jay bird?" She cracked a small grin.

He smiled. "Ah, haven't heard that on in a while. I guess I can accompany you instead of continuing my walk."

"Yeah. That's what you were doing." She teased.

"It could've been." He insisted as she focused back on the big house.

"Mhm. Anyways, I need to get to the attic. Can you keep a look out?" She said - pointing at the top of the big house.

Jai gave her a confused look at first, but quickly shook that off and nodded. "Yeah."

"Thank you. I swear I won't take long." She promised.

She half tackled him into a hug and he quietly laughed before returning the embrace. Even after she dropped her arms away from him, his touch lingered before pulling away.

"Take as long as you need." He reassured.

She wouldn't as she didn't want this to last long herself.