Chapter 13: August 2007

August 2007

August 2007

ZOE

It's the day before I start my grad scheme, and following a decision-making process fuelled almost entirely by blind panic, I've dyed my hair. For twenty-two years I've been blonde. Now I'm brunette.

Blonde Zoe made a lot of bad decisions. She was a pushover. She feared change. She showed loyalty to the wrong people. Brunette Zoe will be courageous and firm, but careful. She won't dive headfirst into situations.

Unfortunately, the hair transformation hasn't changed my personality as fast as I'd hoped, which is why I find myself doing role play with Mark in the living room, and not the kind of role play I'd like.

"Are you the manager?" he asks.

"No, but the manager isn't available right now. How can I help you?"

Mark folds his arms, drawing my gaze to his broad shoulders. He's trying to appear intimidating, but instead he looks devilishly attractive. Not helpful.

"I want to speak to the manager," he says. "I need to talk to someone who actually has the authority to solve my problem. Not some young kid who's fresh out of uni."

"I'm so sorry, Sir—"

"Zo." Mark breaks character, holding up a palm to interrupt me. "Don't apologise to customers who are being rude to you. They'll sense weakness and will continue being rude because they think it'll get them the result they're looking for."

"I still have to provide a good level of customer service," I counter. "The customer's always right, after all."

"They can be right without being rude. And if you do need to apologise, keep it short. A simple I'm sorry."

I frown. "That's what I said."

"You said you were so sorry."

"Oh. That's just me."

"Well, don't be you. There needs to be a barrier between your personality and your professional attitude. Otherwise you'll take everything personally and it'll destroy you."

Deflated, I collapse into the armchair and cover my face with my hand.

"I'm going to be so crap at this. Why did I think changing my hair would work?"

"I doubt they'll throw you into role play situations on your first day," Mark replies. "You'll have time to gain confidence before they do that."

I disagree, but I don't have the energy to argue. Grad schemes can be notoriously tough in the first few weeks as they separate the wheat from the chaff. This is my dream. I can't afford to bottle it.

"Stand up and let's go again," Mark nudges my ankle with his toe.

I drag myself to my feet and suck in a deep breath.