Chapter 11 - The Bar

The bustling crowd of this dazzling club never faltered as they danced until dawn. Drinks and card games soaked in the light scent of cigars, servers continuing to dash back and forth between tables. Velvet curtains, brick walls, the New Orleans nightlife just as loud above ground as Mimzy sang her heart out on stage.

"Oh, Alastor, this is the most fun I've had in ages!" You sip at your drink a little bit faster, causing the tipsy radio host to pull it back from you.

"Careful, sweetheart, the night is still young," he places an assuring hand on yours. "Though, I think someone has reached their limit," Alastor catches your eyes closing every so often. "Come on, let's get you back home,"

"Don't be such a prude!" You force yourself to stand up with a slight stumble, pulling him up onto his feet. "Let's dance!"

Alastor couldn't help but laugh, steadying himself with a hand to your waist, "And as entertaining as that may be my dear, I insist we leave,"

You were pretty reluctant as he paid the tab and placed his suit jacket over your shoulders. "I say we could've stayed a little longer," you yawn, leaving the speakeasy and entering the crowded streets.

~~~

Alastor was right once again. By the time you both had made it a block away from your home, you had fallen victim to a wave of sudden sleep. He could feel you slow down, tired yawns escaping.

"Alright, careful now," he let you lean into his arms, hooking one arm under your legs and lifting you. "I'm going to reach in your purse for your keys, alright?" He runs by you, slightly worried when you don't respond. "Mother taught me better than to look in a woman's purse, lord help me,"

He eventually reached your house, kneeling to both balance you and locate your keys. As his eyes began to droop, he was able to get you both inside. Quietly, Alastor walked to your room, laying you down against the plush pillows and duvet. Next on his agenda was to grab you water, and while that was a quick task, he felt guilty leaving you for even a second.

"Y/n, dear?" He puts you on your side once he returns, taking his hand up to your face.

"Alastor?" You mumble in response, gently squeezing the hand he had on your cheek. "Are you alright?"

"Never better," he knelt beside your bed. "And you?"

"Never better," you force yourself upright, never letting go of him, "you're the kindest man I have ever met, Al. No one has ever cared for me like you have,"

"No one is worth caring for more than you," he kisses your knuckles, "now sip water before bed,"

"Come on; you did say the night was still young~" you hum, moving your hand to his chest.

Alastor's face burned up suddenly, looking at you with a nervous smile. "How about tomorrow?" He insists, "The sooner you sleep, the sooner we can dance with a little more coordination,"

"Will you be staying the night?" You inquire next. "I wouldn't mind some company at breakfast tomorrow,"

Alastor's eyes widen, looking around the room as if you were speaking to someone else. "Are you quite sure? I wouldn't want you to regret asking in the morning,"

"As long as I receive that dance, then we will have no problems," you take the glass and drink up.

"I promise we will have that dance," he then pulls the covers back and allows you to lie down comfortably.

Just before you did, you leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek, "Goodnight, Alastor,"

He was left stunned for a second, staring blankly as you chuckled softly to yourself, curling into the pillow. Once he came back to his senses, Alastor's smile fell into one of dear sincerity. A wave of calmness washed over his mind as it seemed he finally knew what content felt like, "Goodnight, l'amour de ma vie,"

~~~

Morning soon came about with no hassle. Besides your couch being a tad too small to fit Alastor's full height, the radio host had a largely peaceful sleep. The birds chipper outside, waking you with the most horrendous headache.

"Oh fuck," you grumble into your pillow, unable to remember much of the night. "Oh fuck!" You suddenly bolt upright, head falling into your palms as you recall the very last hour of the night. However, the next thing on your mind consisted of dealing with the ache in your back caused by your clothing from the night before.

Changing into your pyjamas, you knew you wouldn't be doing much else for the rest of the day. Throwing a robe over, you creep into the hallway, only to smell pancakes, bacon and eggs. Was Alastor cooking?

"Alastor?" You turn the corner and see him flipping pancakes in a pan. While you would've swooned at the sight of him cooking enough breakfast for a family, you were instead caught off guard by the pink apron he wore. "Are you wearing my apron?"

He could feel his face burn up again, "it was the only one I could find; I hope you don't mind?"

"No, I think you look quite adorable," you move to his side, "thank you, this is all very thoughtful for you to do," you place a hand on his shoulder.

"It's no worries at all," he takes the very last pancakes off the stove. "How's your head?"

"I felt like I was hit by a train, but otherwise manageable," you rub your temple softly.

"Poor girl," he pushes your hair back, giving your temple a gentle kiss, "hopefully some food will help,"

~~~

Alastor finished cleaning up the kitchen while you showered. Just as he goes to hum the next part of the song, Alastor is interrupted by a rough knock at the door. He freezes in his spot, turning the sink tap off and drying his hands slowly. Again, the rough knock was heard, but Alastor never fastened his pace. Taking a knife from your drawer, he holds it behind his back, making his way to the door.

"May I help you?" Alastor eyes the large man up and down, "Ah, I know you..."

"Where is she?" He snarls with the smell of alcohol on his breath.

"I'm sorry, but you need to leave," his grip adjusted on the knife, tightening slightly as his grin widened, "it truly is in your best interest,"

With a slight stumble, the man reconsiders his options, not having expected a man to answer. One narrow look from Alastor was enough to make him clear his throat, "I'll be back," he warns. "Make sure you tell that useless slut I'll be back."

Alastor tilts his head as the man makes his way down the street with a scowl. "No, I don't think I will," he mutters under his breath, lowering the knife from behind his back and locking the door behind him. Placing the knife gently back in the drawer, you had exited the bathroom just in time.

"Alastor? Did someone stop by?" You peer into the kitchen.

"Hm? Oh, just a salesman," he dismisses. "I'm so sorry to leave like this, my dear, but I really must get back home. Will you be alright for the rest of the day?"

"I'll be fine; this isn't my first hangover," you grab his suit jacket and help him place it on, "I may end up entertaining myself with a book,"

"How about dinner tonight, then? I still owe you a dance," he takes your hand and pulls you in with a quick spin, "I promise,"

"After that, you better,"

~~~

Forgot to find meme, here is my bf's family's new kitten watching Hazbin (she likes Stayed Gone)

- Anna ❤️