Life Could Be a Dream

2/27/24

It was still sunset when your car strolled down the road into town with little more than a simple leisurely speed. However, once you approached the courthouse and made that turn, you soon began to coast to a halt when you saw all the townsfolk gathered outside of Ramone's. Braking the rest of the way and putting your car in park, you leaned out the window and asked with concern, "What's going on!?"

"Ladies and gentlemen," Mater began loudly as everyone turned to look at you. "Please welcome the new...Lightning McQueen!" Everyone moved out of the way so that you could see McQueen's car slowly roll out of the shop, with him at the wheel.

To say your jaw absolutely dropped was an understatement. The thing practically broke off its hinges and hit the ground! McQueen's car was completely different, but it was still a fabulous look. All of his stickers and decals had been removed, replaced with a very shiny and glittery red of a more intense and vibrant nature. On both sides, instead of his standard lightning bolt with the big ninety-five painted over it that spanned across the whole length of his car, there was a white oval with a small and subtle, yet very sleek, lightning bolt painted in its center. The dusty racing tires were no more; in there place were clean white wall tires. Even the spoiler on the car's rear had been removed, it was nowhere in sight, as were the lucky light-up lighting bolt stickers. His car looked phenomenal, very old-school and retro, but still nothing short of that Lightning McQueen perfection.

Speaking of McQueen, when he came to a stop and emerged from his car, you saw that his car wasn't the only thing to have a makeover. Although nowhere near as drastic as his car, which had been entirely redone in the outside, McQueen simply looked more cleaned up and his blonde hair slicked back. His racing attire had clearly been thoroughly washed, removed of all dust, debris, and stray cacti pricks, and had its slightly glossy finish returned.

"Pow!" McQueen exclaimed heartily as he landed his feet on the ground, facing you. "What do you think? Radiator Springs looks pretty good on me!"

"Lightning!?" You asked in shock. "I didn't think you'd still be here! I thought you would've finished the road by now."

"Oh, I finished that a long time ago." He replied, waving off your comment as if the job he had done, and the fact he had remained in town afterward, was nothing.

"But what about your race?" You inquired. "It's tomorrow!"

"The race can wait until tomorrow, then. I had something more important to do."

You were incredulous. "What could possibly be more important then your race!? It's all you've talked about the whole time you've been here!"

His face fell slightly. "Well, you, of course..."

Your eyes widened as your face turned beet red. You could hear Flo and Sally commenting on how cute that exchange was, while Mater was poking fun at the two of you being in love after all. You both paid no mind, however.

He jogged over to you and took your hand in his, leading you over to his car. "Look at this amazing paint job! And the fancy tires and the super retro look!"

You giggled at how he was gushing over his car, that and also how eager he had been to show it you specifically. "It looks fantastic! What, did you go on a shopping spree around the town?" You joked.

"Yes." He replied in all seriousness. Turning to face you, he said, "I wanted to make you feel better after what happened, so I decided to help out the town a little to do something special for you."

A blush rose to your cheeks. "For...me?" You looked into his eyes, yours darting to and fro as you scanned his for any trace of a lie, but found none. He had truly done this for you.