Fourteen

Clarissa's POV

Clarissa's POV

"Dr. Bailey? Claire Rice's abdominal CTs." I tell Dr. Bailey before handing her the results and she looks at them.

"Is this girl fat?" Dr. Bailey asks me.

"Not at all."

"So, what do you see?" Dr. Bailey asks me and I take a closer look at the CT results.

"Her stomach is stapled. She had a gastric bypass." Dr. Bailey nods before we headed back to Claire's room. The parents walk out of the room and I sighed before looking at the parents.

"Gastric bypass is a procedure normally done on obese patients to help them lose weight."

"Claire? She doesn't need to lose weight." Joseph tells me.

"Are you kidding? This means the world to her. But it is so typical of this girl to take the easy way out. She's done it with everything since she was a little kid." Tina says, causing me to clench my hands into fists.

"She did this because of you criticizing everything that she does. Claire could risk a life of malnutrition because of you! A good mother does not always criticize their children and supports them. And for the comments about having better things to do? You are welcome to leave at any point, but Claire needs treatment not your condescending comments. I am not risking my patient's wellbeing by letting you back in that room. So either change your attitude or leave."

"She can't talk to me that way." Tina says.

"Actually Dr. Grey's advocating for Claire as her doctor. In this hospital we teach our surgeons to advocate for their patients and that's what Dr. Grey is doing." Dr. Bailey tells her.

"Unfortunately, there were complications with the bypass. She has what looks like an abscess under her diaphragm, and edema, which is a swelling of the bowel wall. I cannot say for certain she will recover completely."

"Just do whatever you have to do to make her well, ok? Oh and Dr. Grey? Thank you for advocating for my daughter." Joseph tells me.

"We will do everything we can for Claire." Entering the room, I see Claire nervously biting her nails and I could sense that she heard everything I said.

"Claire, your parents agree, the best thing to do is to reverse the bypass. There were serious complications. And this is about your health."

"No! No, it's my body. I don't want surgery again. Please?" Claire begs me.

"Claire, if you do not get this fixed you could die from the complications. I am sure that you heard me berating your mother about this."

"Yeah I heard. I've never seen her go quiet before. But I'd rather be thin." Claire tells me.

"Claire you do not have to change who you are to please anyone, especially your mother. The only person that should have any expectations of you is you Claire. She has to learn that her way of talking to you and her expectations for you are toxic."