Chapter 8

It was December 9th.

Roll call and the start of the day went as usual.

Keira got into the passenger seat of the shop.

"You're driving today." Lucy said, taking Keira by surprise.

"Oh okay."

They started patrolling and Keira noticed Lucy was strangely quiet.

"You okay?" She asked carefully.

"Yeah. I'm fine." Lucy replied, subconsciously rubbing her side.

Keira brushed it off until lunch came around.

They had decided to go back to the station with lunch.

Lucy met up with Tim during the break and Keira heard him ask how she was doing.

Tim seemed to stick to Lucy more than usual, and Keira found it really strange.

She just kept trying to ignore it, and thought that it was personal.

Later when they were back in the shop Keira decided to try and distract Lucy from whatever was wrong.

"So got any plans for the weekend?" She asked but didn't receive a response.

She decided to just keep talking.

"I was thinking I might get a tattoo, what do you reckon?" She noticed Lucy tense up next to her. "You alright?"

The only answer was Lucy's shaky breaths. Keira quickly pulled over.

"Hey, what wrong?" Keira placed her hand on Lucy's shoulder but she recoiled.

Keira saw the tears in Lucy's eyes and wanted to help her.

"Please." Keira begged her to open up.

"Let's go back to the station, shift almost over." Lucy said, ending the conversation.

...

"Hey, Lopez I need to talk to you." Kiera told Angela.

"Yeah what's up?"

"Do you know what's wrong with Lucy? She's been acting weird all day." Keira asked, Angela's face dropped.

"Did no one tell you?" She asked.

"Tell me what?" Keira asked, curious.

"Lucy was kidnapped by a serial killer, on this day 5 years ago. He tattooed her day of death on her rib cage." The tattoo triggering made sense now. "Usually she takes today off, but she decided to come into work this year."

"Wow, I can't believe that happened. Is she okay?" Keira was shocked.

"She still has trouble, but she's the toughest, most badass cop I know. Well other than me." Angela said, Keira chuckled.

"Thanks for telling me."

"Just be gentle." Angela said.

Keira nodded.

Now they both knew each other's secrets, who would be the first to bring it up?