Between life and death Part 4

Chase: Wha... what is this place? W...where am I? 

He got up from the ground and faced a familiar face. Menta stood before him. 

Menta: Don't be afraid. You're not awake right now. 

When the boy came to his senses, he hugged his sister. 

Chase: I thought you were dead. But you're alive. 

Menta broke free from Chase and shook her head. 

Menta: Chase, this is not reality. I... I'm not... well, not yet... 

Menta was interrupted by a voice that the girl recognized, but the boy had never heard before. 

Lena: Hi, Chase. Long time no see. You've grown up. 

The adult German Shepherd smiled at Chase, who looked back at her with confusion. 

Chase: And who are you? 

Menta: Chase, she's our mom. 

The boy suddenly froze, slowly grasping what Menta had just said. 

Chase: Th...that's imp...imp...impossible. Sh...she's not? 

Menta: But she is. 

Chase increasingly struggled to understand what was happening. But he tried to figure it out and brainstormed in his mind. 

Chase: Now me too? No, that's unlikely. So, Menta too? No, surely not. Then what's happening now? Um, someone wouldn't mind explaining what's going on? 

Lena sighed at Chase's confusion. 

Lena: I'm Lena, your mom, although you don't remember me. You're asleep now, and Menta and I came to visit. I'm no longer alive, but she is only in a coma, but she's starting to give up the fight for survival... 

At this point, Menta interjected. 

Menta: What's the point of living? 

Chase was surrounded by tears when he heard this. Lena was sad that her daughter, the only one left alive, didn't want to live. 

Chase: If you leave, who will take care of me? A...and who can I look up to? Didn't you think about that? 

Emotions swirled in Menta, but with a sudden movement, she stretched out her paw and shouted. 

Menta: Wake up!

Chase started to fall, and just before hitting the ground, he woke up panting. 

Chase: Wh...what? What was that? 

Skye also woke up with the boy's sudden movement. 

Skye: Everything okay, Chase? 

The girl asked tiredly. 

Chase: Yeah, sure. Just had a bad dream. I'll take a walk and be back. Okay? 

The girl yawned and nodded as Chase walked out of the doghouse. He went to the place where he always talked to Menta. He thought about everything he dreamed and whether Menta would survive what happened. Deep down, he was afraid, as he realized that his sister might not be with him anymore.

Menta and Lena watched Chase as he sat there, gazing at the setting moon. 

Lena: See, he needs you. 

He couldn't live without you. 

Menta: For years, he didn't even know about my existence. He can get over this too. 

Lena just shook her head. 

Lena: You really don't understand, do you? Maybe he can get over the fact that you're gone, but who will take care of him afterward?