18 - Welcome Home

The house is silent as I toss the keys into the bowl by the door. It's Saturday, so Dad must be at the university for office hours. I check my watch—quarter to one. He should be back shortly. I drop my bags by the giant dining table at the entrance and head toward the kitchen. My stomach rumbles; I need food. Stat.

I fling open the fridge door and stare at the plastic containers stacked inside. Dad's meals are packed, marked, and labeled meticulously for each day and meal. I resist the urge to heat some lasagna, and instead, grab three eggs and whip an omlette. I'll need to go grocery shopping later, or Dad will freak out when he notices an uneven number in the fridge.

By the time I've finished eating and washing the dishes, the main door squeaks open.

"Abby?"

"Dad?"

I wipe my wet hands on my hoodie and hurry to the dining room. Dad stands by the doorway, his round glasses perched on his nose, eyeing my backpack.

"I didn't know you were coming," he says, confusion tingeing his voice. "Your bed is not made... I—I don't have enough food—could you go grocery shopping? But don't take my car; I've parked it. Is that your car in the driveway?"

A smile spreads across my face. Before Dad has a chance to say more, I dart across the room and throw my arms around him. He stiffens under my tight embrace.

"It's important to park between the lines, Abby," he mutters. "Your tires are touching the lines. You should center the lines."

"I missed you too, Dad," I reply, tucking my head under his chin.

He sighs, and after holding me for three seconds, pats my back—twice. That's my cue to give him some space. Instead of stepping back, I steal a kiss, making him squirm.

Dad wrinkles his nose as if he's tasted something sour. Swallowing my chuckles, I quickly wipe the wet lip mark from his cheek, then set him free.

A shy smile starts to play on his lips. He runs a hand across his thinning gray hair, pushing it aside. "It's nice to have you home."

I fight the urge to give him another smooch and rub his arm instead. "When is the dog-walker bringing Rocky back?"

"In an hour. You must cancel the dog-walker if you're planning to stay here for more than a day," he warns, peering over his glasses.

Of course.... I'll have to let the dog-walker know that he's fired. Dad hates contradictions and turning people away.

"How long are you staying?" he asks.

"Why? Do you want me out? Have you finally found a lady friend, you handsome genius?"

"You know I don't have time for lady friends," he replies mechanically. But then he sees the grin on my face, and waves me off with an eye roll. "You are complimenting me."

"I am not!" I protest. "You are handsome. And you are a genius who saves lives."

Dad becomes crimson, turns on his heels, and rushes into the living room. I can't help but chuckle as he dashes up the stairs. I made him run away!

"Go do some grocery shopping," he calls out. "Park your car properly. And when Rocky's back, don't feed him anything. He's on a special diet." His footsteps fade away. The distant creak of a shutting door makes me sigh.

Welcome home, Abby.

I collect my bags from the entrance and set off to my bedroom.

***