All Apologies

"Hey." Sam appeared in the doorway to the bathroom when I was almost done with redying my hair brown. "How ya feeling?"

"Dean wasn't going to let me go without telling him, was he?" I asked.

"No, he tends to get stuck on things." Sam leaned against the door jamb.

"Has Bee stopped crying?" I asked.

"She has. She went back upstairs. Dean said she's sleeping," Sam said.

"Can you help me get the back of my head? I have some gloves for you. I just can't reach it and don't want it to come out splotchy," I said. 

Sam took the gloves and stepped behind me with the bowl of dye and brush. "Are you going to answer my question or just keep asking your own?"

I swallowed hard. I hoped he hadn't noticed. "I'm still pretty upset. Reliving those memories is tough. I wish Bee hadn't said anything."

"As much as you hate hearing it, Dean does care about you." Sam swiped the cool dye across the back of my head. "I think Bianca freaked him out."

"They can't understand what it feels like," I said.

"What went through your head the first time it happened?" Sam asked.

"I thought I'd lost it." I tilted my head down so Sam could get a better angle at the area near my neck. "We were trying to get details from a victim's family when I started hearing things that she wasn't saying. I tried to forget about it, but it just kept happening."

"I had pain with my first vision. It still takes a lot of energy out of me and leaves a bad feeling in my gut," Sam said. "I'd rather have your power."

"No, you don't," I muttered. "Sometimes, people's thoughts should stay private."

Sam put down the dye bowl and brush. "I suppose none of the demon's 'gifts' come without a price."

"Thanks for helping." I jumped onto the counter and checked my watch. "I have to let this marinate. And, I don't really want to go back out there."

"Dean feels bad about what he did." Sam took the gloves off and threw them away.

"He should." I took my gloves off as well.

Sam placed his hands on either side of my hips and leaned on the counter, giving me a severe look. "I'm not saying I agree with how he handled things, because I don't. But, I think you need to let some of this hostility go. It's not going to get us anywhere. I know you're upset with Bianca, but everyone here just cares about you, as much as you hate hearing that."

I met his eyes. Quit being stubborn. I narrowed my eyes as a smile spread across my lips. "I heard that."

"That's why I thought it." Sam grinned. He shifted away from me and knelt down. "How's your ankle?"

"Sore. Ah. Why are you messing with it?" I leaned over to look at what he was doing.

"I just wanted to look at the swelling and bruising." Sam retightened the brace.

"Still purple and puffy?" I asked.

"Yep." Sam stood up and twisted me so my legs were on the counter. "You should be elevating it as much as possible. I'll go grab you some more ice, too."

"My hero," I called after him.

"Shut up." I could practically hear his eyes rolling.

After my hair processed, I rinsed it out in the tub. When I looked in the mirror, I felt like me again. With a deep breath, I crutched out into the living room. Dean was still sitting out there. Sam had joined him on the couch researching his laptop. He looked up as I appeared.