Chapter 2 The Wizard

His footsteps echoed in the empty palace hallways, the only other sound the sputtering of torch flames along the walls.

He came to a set of twelve-foot high wooden doors with glowing blue runes inscribed in the archway above.

He swallowed hard, and his heart pounded in his chest.

He planned to ambush the head wizard as soon as he woke up, and convince him to give Connor a trial, so he could prove his magical talent and become the wizard's apprentice.

He yearned to search out what happened to his parents, and when his magical talent revealed itself, he felt that perhaps it could be the key to achieving his dream.

His magic was weak, and he had limited control, but with a little training that would change.

Time crept by as he waited in the empty hallway.

He itched to knock on the door as he paced up and down the width of the corridor, but he needed the wizard to be in a good mood.

Waking him at an ungodly hour of the morning wouldn't help with that.

"Oh by the gods! Come in already!" yelled a voice from inside.

Connor raced to the doors and pushed them wide open. The heavy wood groaned as though it too were upset at being awakened so early, and Connor stepped inside.

A wrinkled, old man with bushy eyebrows and a finely combed beard sat behind a large oak desk piled high with ancient tomes cleaning his glasses.

"About damn time," he said, "I heard you running up and down outside. How am I supposed to focus with you thumping about like a bloody great troll?"

"Sorry to disturb you, Head Wizard," Connor said with a bright smile.

Elgar put his glasses back on and glowered at Connor. "That's funny, you don't look sorry," he said, "why are you bothering me?"

"I want to become a wizard," Connor said.

Elgar stroked his long, gray beard. "Well... good luck with that," he said with a smirk.

He looked down and started leafing through a large book.

Connor waited... and waited, but Elgar didn't even bother to look at him again.

Connor tightened his jaw and folded his arms. Damn that old man. If Elgar thought he would give up so easily, he had another thing coming.

An hour passed as Connor waited like this, and the wizard showed no sign of noticing him.

Connor ground his teeth and finally cleared his throat loudly.

Elgar looked up at him and sighed. "Are you still here?" he asked.

"Yes," Connor said through clenched teeth.

"Well? What do you want already?" Elgar asked.

Connor let out a slow breath to keep his temper in check. "I want to become a wizard. I would like you to teach me," he said.

"Teach you?" Elgar said, "you were serious?"

Connor felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders as hope surged in his heart.

Then the old wizard burst out laughing.

Connor balled his hands into tight fists at his sides while the wizard's laughter echoed in the large office.

Elgar laughed so hard that tears formed at the corners of his eyes. "A thug wants to learn magic? Oh ho! This is the funniest thing I've heard in an age!" he said.