8

By now, I should've been used to the empty bed, the cold sheets and my own company, but I found myself craving the warmth and the body that used to be beside me. I was given the lovely news earlier that my reasons for not flying back with Matt were right, he isn't able to come back, he's too busy.

I look at my phone and re-read our messages.

Matt: I'm too busy to fly back, come home and we can plan a proper trip together when I have time off x
CEO. Sturniolo & Co- Matt.

You: you never have time off. I'll fly back when my vacation is over

Matt: I need you to come home with that envelope.
CEO. Sturniolo & Co- Matt

You: that's all you want? The envelope? No!

Matt: No? That word isn't in my vocabulary, honey. I also want you home, I miss you :(
CEO. Sturniolo & Co- Matt.

You: we don't always get what we want. I'm getting ready to meet your client, any last minute requests?

Matt: I request you board the flight I booked for you after you get the file from the client. I love you x
CEO. Sturniolo & Co- Matt.

You: no! I have a beach and cocktails waiting for me

Matt: see you after your flight
CEO. Sturniolo & Co- Matt.

~

Business is business. I accepted that when Matt became successful in business. He gave me the option to walk away from our relationship and I didn't, I knew what I was getting into.

I gently picked up the wine glass.

"To a lovely chat" Matt's client, James Dean, held up his glass and I flashed him a smile.

I drink from the glass, indulging in the sweet taste of the wine.

"Mr Sturniolo sends his apologies, he was needed in Boston" I start, deciding small talk and smiles is over. I want to get this over with.

"He called me" James nodded, something tells me he's doing his best not to look scary. I don't know why. "What funds are you offering me for my investment?" He asked, a question that wasn't part of my script.

Matt didn't mention this.

"Mr Dean-" I started, trying to think. He laughed, putting me out of my misery.

"I'm kidding. Matt and I discussed funds" he said, giving me a minute to catch my breath.

"Yeah, if there's any changes you wish to make, you'll have to talk to him" I said, unsure of what I'm meant to say now.

"Y/N, do you work at Sturniolo & Co?" He asked, another question Matt didn't prepare me for.

I shook my head. "No, I don't"

He hummed. "So Matt has you as his girlfriend?"

I'm his girlfriend he occasionally throws into business functions.

"You could say that, yeah" I agree. "Do you have any questions about what you talked about with Matt?"

"Yeah, if I give you this envelope Matt is waiting on, will you take care of it?" He asked, placing a closed file on the table, keeping his hand on it like someone was going to take it.

"I'll take good care of it. Matt will take it when I meet him at the airport"

"No, I mean I want you to handle my documents, I want you to handle everything or the deal is off" He said, taking me by surprise.