7

Chapter 7

"What are you doing here? How did you even find me?" Rory blurted, unsure why considering there were more pressing matters due a discussion.

They were standing there on the dark street on a chilly January evening. Everything had suddenly begun to feel a lot sharper - every gust of wind, every sound. Rory was still tired, but her mind had been distracted from it.

"I wanted to see you in person. And - Lane," Logan replied briefly.

Lane wasn't indeed too hard to find online, and Rory actually wasn't mad at her for this. It was certainly better than having Logan show up at her mom's or worse at Luke's. But certainly - he could've just asked her directly. A heads up would've been nice.

"Okay, well... you better come up then," Rory said, beginning the task of getting the key into the keyhole for the second time. Now it was the nervousness that was making this simple task hard for her.

"This lock takes some getting used to," Rory added, apologetically, and found herself avoiding eye contact. She felt like it was for Logan's sake they ought to get out of the street quickly, but at the same time she could just feel his eyes studying her. There weren't many people around this late in this town, but still - there was a chance someone would put two and two together and start some rumors.

Rory could also sense Logan holding his tongue, knowing he probably would've gladly offered her some alternative housing like so many others already had. The slightly stale scent in the hallway alone must've created an impulse of avoidance in him, being used to so much nicer places.

They took the stairs to the second-floor walk-up. It really wasn't that bad, considering Rory had thought already that she had a spot where the stroller could be stored on the first floor once it was needed. Besides, she'd already started noticing people wearing all sorts of cool baby carriers, making her think that maybe she could skip using a stroller that much altogether.

It wasn't until she opened the apartment door that she truly felt embarrassed, however, having left the place a real mess before leaving to meet Tristan. There were clothes everywhere, take-away containers, and plenty of unpacked boxes everywhere. This was the first time Logan had set foot on anything that could be called 'her turf' since college, not counting a couple of hotel rooms that she had inhabited.

"Sorry for the mess," Rory said, feeling surprisingly vulnerable.

"Hey, I'm not here to grade you on your tidiness," Logan said, shrugging his shoulders, trying to get Rory to relax a little, and held up his hands to indicate he was taking things lightly.

"Still. I didn't exactly expect to see you. Tonight especially," she replied, making a frustrated face and gesturing around herself. She nearly wanted to say it was inconvenient that he'd picked this particular night - but she felt she couldn't really be mad at him. She began to pick up a few odd times, clearing the coffee table and sofa at least.

"I didn't know when I'd be able to get away, or I would've let you know. We were in the City...," Logan explained.

"I wondered when I'd hear from you," Rory commented, adding - "If at all..."

"Come on, Rory. There was never any 'if'," Logan replied, feeling a tad offended. But from the look on Rory's face - disbelief and something else mixed in - he felt he needed to pull back on the seriousness. "I had... I have... a lot going on and it was a lot to wrap my head around. It just took me some time... I thought about calling but then I didn't really know what to say... I am not sure I know now. But I'm here. For tonight at least - and I guess I just wanted to see and hear how you're doing and if there's any way I can help," Logan continued to elaborate.