24

i look down into her big green eyes

i look down into her big green eyes. the innocence radiates off the body beneath mine. i hold her sweaty wrists above her head as marvel at how she still looks perfect. Her mascara is smudged, her cheeks flushed, and lips swollen, and yet somehow... she still looks like an angel. my angel.

i watch her lace covered chest rise and fall as he breaths heavily. that damn lace. she wore a lace thong too. always fucking lace. it's killing me.

she's so pretty. my pretty girl.

suddenly i'm jolted out of my daze by a snap. it take a couple more of them for my eyes to refocus on the obnoxiously long acrylics making that irritating sound.

was i just fucking day dreaming?
what the fuck is wrong with me?

"Earth to Ian!" The girl's nasal voice rings in my ears as I snap back into the present. Her blue eyes meet mine as she settles back down on my lap, and I try not to show my disgust.

Once upon a time, I would've been attracted to her. I might have even pursued her. But lately, brown hair has held more appeal than blonde, and my fascination with blue eyes has shifted to green.

The music in the background suddenly gets louder, signaling the arrival of the "girl scouts," as the blonde informs me with a bitter tone.

I look up at the two girls who just entered. Nisha gently guides a bewildered Lacey further into the room. Her wide eyes meet mine briefly before flicking over to the girl on my lap and then back to me. She frowns slightly, and I mentally cringe.

Nisha leads Lacey to the couch opposite mine and proceeds with introductions. She names my men and the few girls present, including the girl on my lap, whom I come to know as Aurora. Lacey smiles at everyone, as she always does, but she clings to Nisha, looking like a scared deer.

"Don't worry, sweetheart, we don't bite," Marlo chimes in. Lacey nods and seems to relax slightly. "Unless you want us to," Marlo adds with a smirk, eyeing her up and down. Her eyes widen. "N-no, it's okay. You don't have to..."

"He's kidding, baby," Nisha intervenes. "Right, Marlo? Tell the girl you're kidding."

"Of course I am, sweetheart."

Lacey's gaze drifts back to the girl on my lap. "Okay... let's get started then," I say, hoping to redirect her attention to me.

"Stay calm," Nisha whispers to Lacey, looking guilty but knowing the necessity of catching her off guard.

"Who did you kill?" I inquire, getting straight to the point.

Lacey's eyes widen, and she glances between Nisha and me. "I didn't kill anyone. Who told you that?"

"Maya," Nisha interjects softly. "We all know you did. We're not cops. It's okay."

Lacey shakes her head, locking eyes with me again. "I-I didn't. I didn't kill anyone."

I sigh. "Lacey—"

"I didn't kill anyone," she repeats, her gaze darting around the room. I should have known it wouldn't be easy.

"You're in no trouble. We just need to know," Nisha reassures her.

"I didn't kill anyone," Lacey repeats once more.

"Cut the crap, Maya," I interject, growing frustrated. "We know you did it, and we need to know who it was to figure out why there's a hit out on you."

Tears well up in Lacey's eyes, and she begins pinching her wrist, shaking her head. "I didn't kill anyone."

"Pelo amor de Deus," I mutter, trying to calm down. "Lacey—"
for christ sake

"I didn't kill her!" she snaps suddenly. Aurora snickers, and I squeeze her thigh warningly; Lacey's eyes follow the movement.

Lacey sighs, bringing her knees to her chest. "I didn't kill her," she whispers, her eyes fixed on the floor.

"Okay, baby, we believe you. It's okay," Nisha says, hugging her slightly and rubbing circles on her back. "The person who put a hit on you," she continues slowly, "claimed you killed his wife. We need to know who his wife is. That's all. If you can tell us that, we can figure out who wants to hurt you."

"Mama," Lacey mumbles softly, looking at the ground. Everyone in the room shares confused glances. "My mama," she repeats. "She's gone. She died," she says in fragments, as if reluctant to admit it. "Because of me," she whispers, eyes glued to the floor, leaning into Nisha, who tightens her embrace.

Her mother?

"My dad loved her. He's still mad at me. That's why he wants me gone," she adds, her voice cracking. She closes her eyes, and tears trickle down her cheeks.

The room falls into deafening silence, the air heavy with emotion. Nisha strokes Lacey's hair soothingly. The room stands still for what feels like an eternity before I break the silence, my voice resonating in the quiet.

"Okay, let's get to it then. We know what we have to do. Lacey, do you have a place to stay?" She looks up at me, bewildered. "You'll return once to grab your things in a couple of weeks, but otherwise, you won't be going back there."

"I-I don't have anywhere to go—"

"She'll stay with me for now. I'll take her," Nisha interrupts, offering Maya a small smile.

"No, we need you out there. We have no idea what's waiting for us; he could have weapons, bombs. The guy somehow got his hands on a million dollars without working or anyone knowing. He's unpredictable," I explain, a bit rushed. "Micah will take her."

"And who's going to manage the bar?" Nisha asks. "There's still a club out there."

"Get Ava," I order. Everyone furrows their eyebrows in confusion. "the bitchy one" they glance at each other, muttering under their breaths.

"You mean Ana," Lacey corrects, a small smile forming on her lips.

☄︎⋆ ༘

if you saw the first draft of this that i posted by accident, no you didn't.

i still don't love this but i really want to get something out for you guys so that i can get more into the relationship aspect of Maya and Killian soon.

i spent FIVE HOURS on the plane, re writing and editing and making this chapter make as much sense as possible just for it not to save😔 so pls lmk if this doesn't make sense.