Chapter 43: Conquering the Tower

Third Person's POV

Midway in the third quarter with the 'Dragons' possession, Greg shot a three but it rimmed out. Enzi and Chandler was battling for the rebound but out of nowhere, Hiccup swooped in and dunked it over Enzi's head.

The crowd went crazy upon seeing Hiccup's put back dunk. He looked at Enzi and shrugged before going back to defense.

Commentator 1:

"Where did Henry Haddock III came from? He outrebounded the 7 footer."

Commentator 2:

"Henry Haddock III keeps surprising everyone. What else can he do?"

Narration:

Springfield High School Eagles called a timeout. The score was 65 - 57, the 'Dragons' were leading the game. They were able to slow Enzi down which made it harder for the 'Eagles' to score since their offense was mostly going through him. Coach E sat Hiccup Haddock III for the remainder of the third quarter.

The 'Dragons' were able to continue on the momentum and they ended the quarter with the lead, 72 - 60.

Hiccup's POV

The crowd watching the game kept chanting my name and it was incredible. "How does it feel being the face of the 'Dragons'?" I heard the captain asked, I was taken back by what he said. 

"What? Me?" I replied, "It's been a long time since we have this kind of energy from the crowd inside this gym and it's all because of you." he told me, I was overwhelmed of how sincere he sounded, "I'll do my best so that we can retain this kind of atmosphere." I told him, he smiled and patted my shoulder, "Let's bring it home, 'The Alpha'."

Narration:

The 'Eagles' went to Enzi Bello again in the paint but Chandler Thorston got used to it already so he was not backed down easily anymore so Enzi Bello spun the opposite direction and he managed to get a separation to take an open shot but Fishlegs Ingerman appeared and swatted away his shot. Dominic Watkins got the ball and passed it to Hiccup Haddock III who was already on the fast break for the easy two points.

The 'Eagles' was losing the grip in the game. There was only five minutes left in the fourth quarter and the 'Hunters' are sitting on a 20 point lead, 90 - 70.

Even with the huge lead, the 'Dragons' were not easing up on the defense, Enzi Bello inbounded the ball and Hiccup Haddock III was sticking to the 'Eagles' point guard and continued harassing him with his defense. 

Hiccup Haddock III was able to tap the ball away and Fishlegs Ingerman picked it up and they were on an attack, Ingerman passed it to Haddock and it was a two on one against Bello, Haddock gave it back to Ingerman and  Bello turned towards Fishlegs Ingerman thinking he was the one finishing the play but Ingerman lob it to Haddock,  Bello followed the path of the ball and he jumped for the block but Haddock was already at the apex of his jump so there was no stopping him now, Haddock posterized  Bello which got the whole crowd all on their feet.

Hiccup's POV

We were setting up for the defense when I saw Coach E in the sidelines signaling a full court press, I called Fishlegs and headed to the front court to guard the inbound. 

"A full court press even though we have a 20 point lead?" he told me, "Maybe he doesn't want us to ease up and lose the lead like in the game with the 'Sorcerers'." I replied, "Gotcha." he put up an okay sign.

The ball was inbounded by Bello and I immediately went into work with defense on their point guard while Fishlegs was guarding Bello. 

I was able to tap the ball a couple of times before finally stealing it, Fishlegs got it and Bello ran back to defense.