Episode 10: Cindered Shadows Part 1

With the threat of the Western Church finally quelled and its remaining members executed on the grounds of Garreg Mach, all seems to be going well again in the land of Fodlan. However, while things up top seem to be going smoothly, a problem that lies below the surface of Garreg Mach has begun to arise. A problem so dire that the archbishop can no longer ignore. So with no other options available, she calls upon the professors for an important mission.

in the Audience Chamber

Byleth Twins: You wanted to see us, Rhea?

Rhea: Yes. There's an issue that I would like you two to resolve for us.

Byleth Twins: What is it?

Seteth: Well, it's, kind of hard to explain. You see, this request actually came to us from a man named Aelfric, a cardinal at Garreg Mach.

M Byleth: Aelfric? I've never heard that name before.

Rhea: That's because he doesn't work in the usual places in the monastery.

F Byleth: Then, where is he?

Seteth: Aelfric is in charge of maintaining a place under Garreg Mach known as Abyss.

Byleth Twins: What's that?

Seteth: Abyss is essentially a last safe haven for those unfortunate suffering through troubled times.

Rhea: Aelfric has generously opened this place to provide shelter and protection for these poor souls. Without him, many people would suffer greatly.

M Byleth: I see. But, why haven't we ever heard of this place before?

Seteth: It's not necessarily a place the church likes to openly promote, lest it's secret get out to the public.

Rhea: Plus, Aelfric himself wanted Abyss to be kept secret to ensure everyone's safety down there. However, it seems a problem has arisen down there that even he cannot handle.

Seteth: That is why we are asking you and your students to go down there and investigate the situation.

F Byleth: Alright. We can do that.

Jeralt: walks in Count me in too.

Rhea: J-Jeralt? What brings you here?

Jeralt: I just heard you giving my kids an order to investigate something, and felt like pitching in.

Seteth: Are you sure about this Jeralt? I believe the professors and their students can handle this problem themselves.

Jeralt: Nonsense. More hands the better. Plus, I've been meaning to spend a bit more time with them lately.

Rhea: Very well. May the goddess watch over you all.

the twins and Jeralt exit the Audience Chamber

Jeralt: So, you're going to Abyss?

M Byleth: Y-You know about Abyss?

Jeralt: Yup. Like I said, I've been around this place for a long time. Plus it'll be nice to see Aelfric again. He and I were good friends back in the day, alongside your mother.

F Byleth: Our, mother.

Jeralt: Ah, right. Your mother. I don't think I ever told you her name before either. Her name was Sitri. Honestly one of the nicest and mysterious person I ever knew. She wasn't much of a talker like you two, but her heart was just as big as yours. Sadly, when giving birth to you two, it was too much for her and passed away shortly after.

M Byleth: I see. I would have loved to have at least seen her face.

F Byleth: Even just for a second, to see what a lovely woman she was.