Chapter 15: Change

Sakayanagi and Kiyotaka have been reading the Frieren light novel next to one another.

As the chapters progress, Sakayanagi smiles and gently tugs Kiyotaka on the arm.

In response he looks down with the same expressionless face. "Yes what is it Arisu?"

"Doesn't this elf character, Frieren, seem similar to you?" Sakayangi smugly smiles.

"Do you mean my ability to conjure out magic out of my nonexistent staff? Or in the sense of my ears?" Kiyotaka rebutiles.

Sakayangi clearly pouts a little and gently pinch him on the cheek. "Sigh. No not literally and your ears are not that long or pointy."

Kiyotaka looks at the pouting Sakayangi and felt that strange feeling again. He nods and pats Sakayangi. "I know. I am sorry but I still don't see the similarities. Could you explain?"

Sakayangi pouts and gently flips through the different pages. She points to some parts and comentates, "See? You're both apathetic to humans at first but as time progressed you both gain an interest in them and started learning what they are all about like emotions."

Kiyotaka nods, "Well I do see some similarities. Isn't this a bit of a stretch?"

Sakayanagi nods. "Well now that you mention it. It is quite a stretch but reading this I can't help but to hope you will make as much progress as she does when it comes to learning emotions and empathy."

Kiyotaka felt his body instinctively moves. He pats Sakayangi as the strange warm feeling intensified.

Sakayangi blushes slightly and looks up. "Hey what was that for..?" Sakayangi mumbles softly.

Kiyotaka simply kept quiet and continued patting her. No words were needed. They simply stare at each other's eyes. Time seems to slow to a crawl however as Sakayangi was leaning towards Kiyotaka.

Kiyotaka phone alarm sounds out causing Sakayangi to snap back to reality. She distances herself slightly and clears her throat.

"Ah sorry. That must be my alarm to start preparing our dinner. I apologize Arisu." Kiyotaka bows slightly as he gets up and heads to the kitchen.

Sakayangi sighs and picks the book back up. She looks up and thought to herself, "What was that just now? Was it just me or did Kiyotaka seem different..?"

In the meantime, Kiyotaka looks down at all the pottery and cutlery. He thought to himself, "That strange feeling happened again... If I didn't excuse myself, would I actually start changing? Am I subconsciously afraid of change? My subconscious huh... That would explain my irrational and contradicting nature from time to time." Kiyotaka sighs as he looks up.

"It's a pain trying to understand feelings in a logical fashion isn't it?" Sakayangi says in a gentle tone as she looks over to Kiyotaka from the living room.

Kiyotaka simply nods. Sakayangi replies, "Sometimes some emotions just can't be explained using logic. Sometimes it's better to just accept it and embrace it."

Kiyotaka responds, "That's surprisingly illogical for an intellectual such as yourself."

Sakayangi nods and smiles, "I, myself, am surprised but I learnt to accept it thanks to our interactions."

Kiyotaka looks down and nods. "Hey Arisu, do you mind if we have a delay in dinner?"

Sakayangi tilts her head, "No I don't but what happened?"

Kiyotaka proceeds to leave the kitchen and hugs Sakayangi. "I just want to put theory in practice."

This caused Sakayangi to blush as red as a tomato and burry her face into Kiyotaka's chest. "I see... How do you feel?"

Kiyotaka thought for a moment. "Am I smiling? Am I relived that I finally embraced that warm sensation?" He looks over to the mirror and was stunned to see him subconsciously smile.

"I am happy." Kiyotaka responds.

*End of chapter 16*

Author's note
Shorter chapter than the usual chapters but I thought I should make it short, sweet and straight to the point. This finally sets up the learning emotions arc of the story. Which means the story will begin diverting heavily.

Image source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/117639919