Chapter Nine

Tell me, Mallory. What do you get for successfully capturing me?

I'd never been an angry person. It was hard to be angry when I was always so afraid. And maybe it's because I didn't fear Lynn that I was furious with her. I couldn't think about the night at the bar without my body getting hot with rage and my hands shaking. The rage didn't help my ensuing headache.

Because of her, I'd have to return to Dash empty-handed. I'd have to tell him, 'Sorry, I found your soul bound, but she didn't want to come. So, I couldn't bring her to you.' My face burned, and my hands trembled. The resentment worsened my pounding head.

I originally had four months to get her back. I used all that time tracking her down from slum to slum. It didn't take a genius to figure out she'd already skipped town. If I wanted to find her again, I'd have to search all the ones I'd searched inside out. I didn't have that kind of time. Emma didn't have that kind of time.

Now, I had three days.

The headache at the front of my skull got heavier every hour. Soon, the symptoms would get ten times worse. It would feel like I was burning from the inside out in a couple of days. I couldn't even use the three allotted to me. I needed Lynn. Now.

Now, or I had to return to Dash without his soul bound. It wasn't about the pain, not only about the pain, at least. As far as I was concerned, it came down to either my life or Lynn's. If I had to guilt trip her a little to get her back, it was worth it to me, and I wouldn't feel bad about choosing myself.

Lynn's soul bound, Lynn's problem. Not mine. I didn't deserve the beatings, and I didn't deserve to die over it because I had no bargaining chip left. Nothing to give but my lackluster skills. Lackluster skills and the ability to garner Lynn's sympathy— that's what Dash thought.

I sat off to the side of the pathway during the bustling morning. I ran my finger up and down the thin gold chain I held. If I squinted, I could make out an intricate pattern embossed on the links, resembling flames. When it caught the light, it shined with a warm luster that almost blinded me. The glossiness seemed impossible for a chain so thin but so fine-crafted.

On the end of the chain sat a pendant. When I snatched it, the Advisor's layers had hidden it too much to see what I was taking. I expected a gemstone—a single, bold diamond shining so bright that it would buy us rations for years. Instead, a simple filigree design that reminded me of a sun adorned the small circle—not a diamond.

How disappointing.

I tapped my foot at a rapid pace. Focusing on anything but the piercing headache moving to the front of my skull. My neck was heavy, and I needed to lie down, but there was no time for that.

At first, I wanted to use the chain as a bargaining chip for Emma's fire-blood. But it wouldn't go down the way I sought. Why would an Advisor do anything for someone like me? She'd snap her fingers, singe my hand, and take it by force. That's how fire-bloods worked. Especially egotistical ones like her.

What use could a fire-blood have with a simple gold chain? My hope was a lot, and I could make educated guesses.

First, a gift from her priestess—or, even better, a dead lover. Anything with sentimental value would work in my favor.

Second, an insignia. Something that showed her rank. She liked to show off.

Third... There was always the possibility that she bought it because she thought it looked pretty.

"Dimples?"

I looked up, and my eyes strained to see a boy's silhouette through the glaring sun.

"Zeke," I exhaled, stretching my hand up so he could help me onto my feet.