5 - The Eleventh Sky

Lunch ended. Ton went back to organizing stocks and checking on Ortle while Mysris cleaned up the plates.

Mysris went silent after Alice's question about the demon king, stunned was the better term. Then she didn't answer and only spoke later on to call Ton for lunch and also support Ortle with eating a bit.

Alice stood from her seat and watched Mysris washing the dishes. She was almost done. As she finished, Alice took a deep breath and spoke up.

"Mysris, is it possible to meet the de-"

The ungraceful smack of the cloth on the countertop sealed Alice's lips briefly.

"Alice, dear, you should rest."

"Mysris, I want to know if-"

"Why?"

Alice tilted her head at the sudden strict tone. It didn't bother her, but this made it almost impossible to speak to Mysris openly.

"Why do you want to meet the new king so much?" Mysris whispered, her tone almost interrogating rather than simply questioning.

Alice stared at Mysris' back and pursed her lips, feeling a slight jump from inside her at the mere thought of ever seeing and meeting the demon king she'd always read about. Like a fan would to their idol.

"I... want to see him."

"Why?"

Alice didn't answer, unsure if she could tell her that the demon king had always been her favorite character in the novel. Now that this was her new reality, surely, meeting him wouldn't be as hard as it was to even think of meeting a fictional character.

Mysris turned around, her expression almost grim as she muttered, "Why?"

"I want to meet him."

"But why?"

"I'm curious what he's like." In real life.

"Alice, he is the new king of Jyusora."

"I know."

"You can't just meet him." Mysris pursed her lips and stepped close. "It's not that simple."

Alice looked down, mind wandering.

Mysris held onto Alice's arms gently. "It will not bode well, either. He is ruthless. He may hurt you."

"And if he doesn't?"

"You can never tell."

'I can.' At least, that was what she answered in her mind.

For some odd reason, perhaps due to knowing him from beyond the world of Caesare, fear of him was nonexistent. There was only admiration and eagerness for his character.

Perhaps it was time for Alice to reconsider her views. After all, he and everyone here were no longer mere fictional characters from beyond the pages of an online story. They were real.

Alice met Mysris' eyes with determination. "I still want to see and meet him. To face him."

After a grueling staring contest, Alice's resolve remained undefeated. Her face brightened up as soon as Mysris blinked, looked away, and sighed with a smile at the end of it.

"Fine, alright. But I want you to run as fast as you can if any threat or risk arises."

Alice nodded, fully convinced she wouldn't have to run away from anything related to the demon king.

Mysris walked over to the couch near Ortle's bed, sitting down and patting the cushion beside her. As Alice sat beside her, so did a secret slip from one ear to another.

"It isn't confirmed yet, as I've only ever heard of the new king being in the former king's palace in the central prefecture, but apparently, there is a portal in there that leads to his real palace."

Yonaka no Aki. The named grand palace of the demon king in the novel. It seemed the people here had not been there, let alone know much of its existence.

Something that they did seem to know was the way to that place because it was never given full disclosure in the novel.

"There is apparently a portal hiding by the walls of the palace towers in the central prefecture. Many had gone there to check, and always, their stories were that it was a different sky. The Eleventh Sky of Jyusora."

An Eleventh Sky of the Ten Skies.

"And as soon as demons spot them from beyond the grand dark metal gates of the palace, they'd run back to the portal and never return."

"So no one's ever gotten past the gates? And inside the palace?"

Mysris shook her head thoughtfully.

"I see."

"Do not even dream too much of it."

Alice only smiled and bowed her head lightly.

"Thank you, Mysris."

Mysris only gave a small smile, which soon transformed into a suspicious scorn at Alice's next batch of questions.

"How long does it take for a caravan from here to get to the central prefecture? And how much does it cost? I don't really have any money on me. Will it be alright to borrow some for the trip?"

"Oh, Alice..." Mysris palmed her forehead. "We've only known each other for less than half a day, and I already feel like I have such a stubborn daughter plotting dangerous travels far away."

Alice's smile deepened.

With a sigh, Mysris stood and walked over to a nightstand near Ortle, pulled open a desk, and coins in a bag rang in the air.

"It doesn't cost too much back and forth unless you desire a more comfortable ride."

"I'm fine with the cheapest possible option!"

"Then, only five silver coins will do for one trip. I'll lend you twenty silver coins for your food, too, and the trip back here." Mysris took some coins and handed them over to Alice. "It takes three hours at least from here to the borders of the central prefecture, then half an hour to the tower by foot."

"By foot?"

"The caravan doesn't trudge too far inside. You'd have to take a different ride once inside. But it'd not only cost you more but also cast suspicion on yourself."

Alice nodded in understanding, taking the silver coins and observing their form. They had a diamond hole in the middle with plenty of other tiny diamond holes around it.

"You will still have to find the exact spot of the portal, but maybe you'll get lucky."

"Thanks so much for everything, Mysris!"

Mysris smiled and sat beside her once more.

"So, when do you plan to go?"

Alice pocketed the coins and grinned.

"Today!"