Chapter 3

The clamour of the gathered crowd jarred Chloe back to earth after the breath taking approach to the hotel.

The boat had skimmed across the sea, salty water spraying against her flushed skin and the sun shining overhead. Even over the roar of the engine she had felt it – peace. Slowly, the tension in her shoulders had unfurled and by the time the boat had docked on the other end, a real smile had been on her lips. Thoughts of annual inspections and demanding parents were a distant nightmare.

And then this. What now?

Pink skinned and sweating, Chloe bent her head to awkwardly swipe the back of her hand across her brow, the bundle of fabric no longer as light as it had been before. Then, with a huff, she peered at the barricade between her and her destination.

A large group of men and women lingered outside of the hotel's foyer successfully blocking the entrance. Cameras in hand or phones held aloft in anticipation, they looked towards the hotel with a strange fervour. Yet there was no mistaking them for an amateur photographer club. They eyed the lobby door hungrily each time they opened and closed only to grumble loudly when a uniformed member of staff stepped outside instead.

Paparazzi.

"Excuse me." Chloe said loudly after several attempts to get around them. When they ignored her presence, she let out a huff. Then, leading with her elbows, offering half hearted apologies at the disgruntled swears at her hand.

Finally, she emerged on the other side and hurried the few steps to the lobby doors. A rush of cooler air enveloped almost immediately, sending a shiver down her spine as the sweat cooled on her brow. Then, her breath stilled in her chest.

"Wow."

Chloe had seen pictures of high-end hotels. Who hadn't googled a five-star hotel and dreamed of visiting paradise for themselves. Yet, actually being there?

Chloe shifted on her feet. The gleaming white marble floor squeaked beneath her knock off trainers. She swallowed loudly. She raised a hand to her head and attempted to make it lay flat with little success. Her stomach churned. With her windswept hair, sweat dampened clothes, and her meagre holiday wardrobe in hand, she had never been so out of place.

"Welcome to Heart of Maldives, how can I help you?"

Chloe jumped, her arms reflexively tightening around her bundle of clothes. She turned on her heel to face a tall woman in a grey suit, her dark hair elegantly twisted back on her head.

"I need to check in." The words were said with more certainty that she felt. Still, Chloe half expected to be guided towards the door with a security guard escort. Instead, the bronze skinned beauty only smiled and nodded her head. "If you will just follow me."

Chloe winced with each squeaky step across the floor, her eyes drinking in the luxury with wide eyed appreciation.

At the desk, Chloe carefully set her bundle of clothes on the floor and then dug the golden envelope out of her bag. Then, with much hesitation, she slid the booking slip across the desk.

With efficiency, the woman tapped away at the computer. "Okay, Ms Morgan."

"Oh, just Chloe is fine."

"We've booked you in to one of the water bungalows. One of our staff will bring your luggage."

"Oh, this is all I have." Chloe gestured at her feet, her cheeks heating under the kind stare. "The airline lost my luggage. They said they would arrange delivery to the hotel should they find it."

"Of course, well, we'll make sure it is delivered to your accommodation as soon as possible."

"Great."