Episode | 36

Inola escorted Ballister from the building after he signed his contract. Their exit left Kaliope in Ronin's office alone. She held off on her urge to fidget or escape the man's attentive gaze. Her mood stone was a wafer-thin barrier between them, but she was grateful for it. Ronin stood from his chair and skirted his desk to lean on it, hands in his pocket, ankles crossed to stare down at Kaliope.

Although she muted her urge to run, her need to defend herself burned to be free. When Kaliope confessed about the solution she presented to Ballister to remedy the strife in his family, Ronin said nothing for one whole minute. It was the longest sixty seconds of her life. He was hard to read, but she guessed he harbored reservations and opinions he preferred to address without an audience. "Before you say anything, sir."

"Your justification was sound, Ms. Barnes. I'm not about to lecture or berate. Plus, the client's happy with your solution. Ballister's at peace. We'll see how it plays out."

"Oh." Her defense rendered moot, Kaliope's nerve returned. During their meeting with Ballister, Kaliope realized the tension aching in her shoulders had nothing to do with the case or the impending developments. It was Ronin. His presence. At once imposing yet alluring at the same time. Their alone time was few between, and whenever they occurred, wherever they were was always too small.

"Going forward, I'll take responsibility for your proposal. I'm sure you're aware of the likely backlash should word emerge you, a human, suggested this course of action."

Kaliope straightened her stance. She'd accepted her fate and wasn't about to run and cower. She especially wasn't about to use anyone else as a shield. "Thank you, sir. But I'll face my own consequences."

Ronin smirked. "Will you now?"

He pushed off the table and ambled down the steps. Kaliope shuffled half a step in retreat and forced herself to hold her ground. Ronin stopped less than an arm's length away. Kaliope tilted her chin to meet his gaze. His eyes roved her face before he spoke.

"Powerful people don't like to be reminded of how powerless they are, Ms. Barnes."

"Tch." Kaliope rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. "They can kiss my—" She pressed her lips together, aborting her crass retort. Hands dropped at her side, she murmured an apology. Her mouth really wasn't her own.

Ronin inclined his head, offering her an out-of-character smile. It drew Kaliope's eyes to his lips. They curved into a perfect arc, revealing a glimpse of his straight white teeth and sending her heart racing. Heat radiated under her skin at the thought of touching her lips to his and tasting—

"I'd rather they not." Ronin's low, husky voice sent shivers down Kaliope's spine. His piercing coppery-brown eyes held a hint of mischief as though he knew a secret that only he was privy to. He spun away, breaking the connection, and ascended the steps for his desk.

Kaliope released a quiet breath, startled by her lustful thoughts.

What the hell?

Twice now, Ronin acted out of the ordinary. His smile. The look in his eyes...was he flirting with her? No. Of course not. That can't be right. Ronin McIntyre would never. Flirt? Impossible. Not with her. She was reading too much into it. And what about her reaction? She'd wanted to taste him.

For heaven's sake. Was she attracted to him?

"It's decided."

"Huh? What? No." Kaliope waved her hands in frantic denial, muddling her mental crisis with their discussion about Ronin acting as her shield.

Ronin raised a brow, his usual calm and in-charge self. She was making a fuss on her own with useless ideas.

"Your choice, Ms. Barnes. Your pride or your safety."