Chapter 5: Totem Pokemon Showdown

It's currently morning on Melemele Island. Niku and Eevee were invited to join Ash and Kukui for breakfast, Ash spoke up about the island trials.

Kukui: Z Crystals huh?

Ash: I want to become much, much stronger and battle Tapu Koko as well!

Niku: Same here. I need to gain the power I need so I can challenge Tapu Bulu once more. Wait.... You battled Tapu Koko?

Ash: You bet! It was before you came to the island.

Kukui: You two are as fired up as if you've been hit by a Blast Burn!

Niku: There are other ways to get Z Crystals right?

Kukui: That's right. But the best way is to attend the Island Trials and pass the Grand Trials issued by the Island Kahunas.

Ash: And how can we pass those?

Rotom Dex: Leave it to me! "Grand Trials" are Pokemon battles against the island Kahunas. If you defeat them, you will be acknowledged as having passed.

Ash: Oh! That sounds like fun!

Niku: Hmmm. It does sound like fun but it can't be that simple right Kukui?

Kukui: "Fun"? And yes your right Niku. You two will be battling Kahunas. So don't underestimate them, otherwise it will cost you dearly.

Niku: If I remeber correctly, there are four islands, then that means four Kahunas. They might be strong like the Elite 4 level.

Kukui: Not only that, but...

Rotom Dex: According to my date, it seems the only ones who can attempt Grand Trials are those who pass the earlier Trials they're given.

Ash: Trials and Grand Trials, huh?

Kukui: Either way, one of these days, I guess we should go see Hala, the Island Kahuna of Melemele Island.

Niku: Let's do this.

Ash: Yeah!

After leaving the house, Niku, Ash, and Kukui all left to go see Hala, but they were met by an incident on the road.

Ash: What's that?

Niku: That doesn't look good.

Rotom Dex: It looks like an accident.

The three of them looked over and saw Officer Jenny giving instructions to people.

Kukui: Officer Jenny, what happened here?

Officer Jenny: Professor Kukui? A pack wild Rattata and Raticate were laying waste on a field. And they ran straight into the road as they were escaping, causing this to happen.

Ash: Rattata and Raticate did that?

Niku walked over to have a closer look.

Niku: With this much damage, there numbers must be large to cause all of this.

Eevee: Vee.

Officer Jenny then looked over, noticing Niku and Ash.

Officer Jenny: Are you both students at the Pokemon school?