prologue

From the dawning of memory, Artemis had wandered the primordial forests in solitude. As eons passed in their changeless dance, she watched over the wildwood realm with maternal care, ensuring the intricate balance of all spheres remained undisturbed.

The woodlands formed her soul's haven, finding solace amongst the whispering boughs since withdrawing from Olympus' petty squabbles. Here she maintained stasis beyond surface turmoil, guardian to obscure yet sacred rhythms shaping the ageless dance of life and death.

Countless turning seasons melded into the gray mists of antiquity as Artemis upheld her eternal vigil. All denizens of the wood knew only her benevolent protection, flourishing beneath her watchful silvery gaze. Balance and harmony reigned absolute throughout her vast yet obscure dominion.

It was in those misty primeval eras that Artemis first gathered her sacred sisterhood of maidens, pledged in ritual to uphold the wildwood ways. As moonlight's eternal handmaidens they patrolled the forest pathways, assisting their divine lady in safeguarding the sanctuary's inviolable peace.

Together through turning ages the sisterhood maintained Artemis' charge, from dawn's first glimmer til dusk's twilight hymn. Their devotion outshone even the brightest stars in the silver goddess' celestial eye, an eternal bond uniting their souls since antiquity's gray dawn.

Among the primordial sisterhood walked Phoebe, eldest and most beloved by Artemis for her steadfast faithfulness. It was she whom the huntress chose to tutor each new generation in woodland mysteries only her initiate sisterhood were privileged to know.

Through Phoebe's patient tutelage since time immemorial, the sacred order was perpetuated down the ages. Artemis' moonlight blessings strengthened their bodies and will beyond any mortal frame, sensing threats upon the wind long before intruders neared the forest's heart.

Thus tranquility prevailed undisturbed where the goddess and her sisters walked. Balance reigned inviolable throughout those misty primeval ages, all denizens sheltering peaceably within the guardian deity's sacred embrace. Their chorus formed a part of the wilderness' soul, upholding its rhythms from gray dawn unto dusk's hallowed rest.

However even immortals know change, as is the natural way of all things under celestial turning. Throughout the measureless cycles one subtle alteration began to take shape, perceptible only to the goddess' elder senses attuned to the woodland's heartbeat.

Mortals had emerged from antiquity's mists in greater numbers, spreading from isolated hearths into further groves encroaching upon Artemis' ancient domain. At first their presence seemed a minor disruption easily absorbed, mortal lives but flickering things in the ageless dance.

Yet as the new races multiplied and spread farther, establishing primitive settlements amidst the primeval forests, a pall of unease crept into the goddess' starlit chest. Mortal affairs grew bolder, their wandering threatening to disrupt millennia-old patterns maintained since gray memory's dawn.

Artemis observed this progression with mounting dismay, intuition sensing unknown turmoil borne on shifting winds. Her pristine sanctuaries faced potential corruption through the new predation despoiling untouched glades. Protectiveness surged like an incoming tide, seeking means to shield her charges from unfamiliar chaos.

Conferring in private with Phoebe one silver dawn, Artemis spoke grave concerns that had long festered. "The wildwood pulses with change borne on two feet, elder sister. Mortal numbers grow far beyond ancient toleration, carelessly intruding upon our venerable peace."

Phoebe listened solemnly, perceiving her lady's turmoil. "What action would you take, divine one? Shall we forbid all mortal presence, or find means guiding their steps less disruptive?"

Artemis pondered as new leaves unfurled their emerald hands to the warming light. "Violent reaction shall breed only further turmoil. We must establish borderways between realms, teaching mortal respect through peaceful contact rather than force."

Her decision was borne of matriarchal wisdom attained through measureless turnings defending life's sacred balance. Fear or aggression would solve nothing, potentially kindling the wildfires of chaos. Only patience and guidance could curb disruption smoothly as the eternal cycles turned.

And so with Phoebe's faithful aid, Artemis began reaching out to isolated mortal settlements with promises of woodland bounty, so long as boundaries were recognized. She appeared to mortal chieftains in benevolent guise, outlining the simple terms ensuring harmony between realms.

Observance of her forest-hallowed seasons and conservation of vulnerable glades would assure plenty ripened from the wilderness to nourish their growing settlements. Intruders threatening her more secluded domains faced banishment or sterner consequences by her decree as guardian since time's misty dawn.

With prudent care and compromise, a fragile accord was struck. Mortal leaders passed laws heeding Artemis' wisdom for protection of her primeval spheres, gaining in turn security, prosperity and healing enchantments for their clustered hearths. Watchful yet benevolent, the goddess withdrew once more satisfied her earnest protection had born kind harvest.

So the woodland balance endured in harmony through peaceful relations, neither realm intruding upon the other's province. Mortals flourished beneath Artemis' aegis as grateful guardians of borderways ensuring respect on both sides. Familiar paths lay open for her sight alone, primordial glades remaining cloaked in obscuring mists.

As generations turned, the fragile peace weathered disruptions arising from mortal tribulations. Wars or plagues that arose were quelled without direct interference, Artemis allowing mortal affairs their natural, if turbulent dance guarded by her watchful eye.

Her dominion flourished undisturbed through the changing of ages, ancient forests persevering despite shifting winds skirting their emerald groves. Balance remained sacred through Artemis' sleepless vigilance, all living souls under her benign protection.

So antiquity gave way gradually to more verdant eras, though the wildwood goddess remained changeless in her eternal sovereignty. Artemis continued upholding harmony between the bordering realms through guidance and compromise, as had ever been her way since the world's gray beginnings. Balance reigned absolute under moonlight's guardian hand.