seventeen. and all the stars aligned

jeremiah's pov

STEVEN IS SHAKING his head at me as we walk toward the diner. I look at him in confusion, wondering what I did now.

"What?" I ask. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He narrows his eyes. "You know why, Fisher."

"I genuinely have no idea why the fuck you're glaring at me like you want to claw my eyes out. Please enlighten me."

He shakes his head again. "Well if you don't know, I'm not saying anything."

I shoot him an exasperated look. "I'm so confused right now."

"Not my fault you're dumb as shit."

"Why are you coming at me right now? What did I do?"

He opens the door to the diner and shuts it in my face. Groaning, I open the door back up and go to where Steven is standing. I'm ready to snap at him for acting like a little shit when I stop in my tracks.

Autumn stands just off to the side of the entrance, wisps of her hair falling onto the sides of her face and a dimpled smile lighting up her pretty face. I vaguely notice Vanessa and Rey standing beside her, but I find myself unable to focus on anyone but the brunette wearing a cream-colored summer dress with the sides cut into so that her bare skin is displayed. I have to physically fight the urge to go over to her and feel her skin on mine.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Shaking myself out of it, I focus in on whatever Steven is saying.

"...guys should eat with us. We're having an early dinner too."

"Sure!" Vanessa is the first to reply. Her eyes find mine and her face sets into a glare. "Fisher."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Hi?"

She crosses her arms and sends me a harsh look. She doesn't do it often, but when she glares at you, you actually start to believe that hell is trying to swallow you whole.

Autumn nudges her arm and rolls her eyes at her. Then, she turns to me and smiles.

"Hey, Jere."

For a second, it's insanely hard to breathe. She hasn't ever really called me that nickname before, but it somehow feels so right leaving her lips. Too right.

I clear my throat. "Hey."

Jesus Christ, why do I sound so awkward?

I don't have time to dwell on it as Steven drags me toward a table near the corner of the diner. Everyone else follows behind quickly. I slide into one side of the booth and open my mouth to ask Autumn to sit beside me, but before I can, Rey slides in right beside me with a menacing glare on his face.

Why is everyone out to get me today?

Autumn sits across from me, Vanessa and Steven to her right side. A waitress comes by with our menus. She's probably around the same age as Rey. As we order our drinks, she not-so-subtly checks him out. When she leaves, she smiles at him and sends him a wink.

Steven whistles. "Damn, Rey. Looks like you've got an admirer."

The corners of Rey's mouth quirk up. "What? You jealous, Conklin?"

Steven scoffs. "Oh, fuck off. I have a girlfriend unlike you."

"Ah, I see. I've never seen nor heard of this so-called girlfriend so..."