H' & Forty Nine: Wedding Vaibhogam (Part 4)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

"Baba!"

Upon entering the home, Krithika spotted Mukesh and rushed to hug him tightly. He reciprocated her gesture with open arms, greeting her warmly, "Ah, Beta!

Krithika exclaimed in disbelief, "Xavier didn't inform me that you would join us. He only mentioned Aai and Chitta." Her astonishment was evident as she struggled to comprehend Mukesh's unexpected appearance.

"Haha! I specifically instructed him not to tell you, my sweet doll," Mukesh chuckled heartily. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

She pouted and engaged in animated conversation with him, while he affectionately patted her head, conveying his fondness.

Saranya observed the caring connection unfolding between her daughter and Xavier's guardian. With a heavy heart, she noticed the pain etched in Ashok's eyes as he stared at their closeness, realizing he had become estranged from his daughter. Saranya's heart throbbed with pain as she acknowledged the fractured trust between Ashok and their daughter.

Even if she forgave him, the love between their baby and him had faded. It was Ashok who had brought this upon himself. He should have been the pillar of support and comfort for their daughter, a confidant in whom she could find solace.

Yet, as Saranya lamented, she knew it was too late. Her Kannamma had endured her fair share of pain, enough to seek solace and affection elsewhere, leaving behind the longing for paternal love that would never be fulfilled.

She rejoiced in her daughter's happiness but her soul couldn't ignore the void reflecting in Ashok's expression. Walking closer to him, she rested her hand over his shoulder and he looked at her, his eyes burning with guilt and hurt.

"Ashok." She blinked her eyes rapidly, resisting to cry.

Perhaps if she had spoken up sooner the outcome might have been different. Maybe- as that foolish Nawab had suggested- Ashok had required a wake-up call long ago, contrary to her beliefs and trust in her husband. While it wasn't entirely her fault, she couldn't shake off the feeling of blame that weighed heavily on her conscience.

Men and their stupid egos. Women and their ridiculous trust in men. Humans and their silly love.

All, but in vain.

--

"Akka used to dance as well when she was my age, wait I'll show you something." Preethi pushed Satya and Xavier onto her bed to sit, opening her wardrobe she leaned almost inside it. Immediately, her fingers probed through a stack of papers and a few other things placed carefully in the wardrobe.

Dressed in a modest shirt and skirt, Preethi bore a striking resemblance to Krithika. The kid was comparatively fair-skinned and had tiny eyes, the only exception from her eldest cousin. Xavier observed that Preethi shared Krithika's chattiness to people whose company they enjoyed and very hardworking nature, noting a common trait among the children in this family who seemed to have a keen enthusiasm for learning.

"How old are you?" Satya questioned.

Back to them and head deep inside million dresses, she garbled, "Eleven."

Xavier chuckled.

Satya scanned the room. The walls were decorated with exquisite watercolor paintings and the corners were housed by tiny indoor plants, "Do you paint?"

"Yes, but half of those on the walls are by Akka. We both share this room."

"Hmm... My executive seems quite a talent," she winked at Xavier, "Congratulations, your children will inherit superior genes."