chapter 6 First Encounter (Happy Birthday Danielle)

"Hyein, please hurry up. Ella will wake up soon."

Oh my god, Minji, you wake me up at 4 am, and I only have 2 hours of sleep, you know.

You can just go back to sleep after your class. We need to surprise Daniella. It's her day today.

Minji, I'm not complaining. I'm happy that we were going to surprise Ella today, but don't expect me to move fast. I don't even have caffeine in my body. I need my early fuel, you know.

Fine, I'll ask Uncle James to brew a whole tub of coffee just for you.

Yeah yeah right "Where am I supposed to put these balloons?"

Just scatter it on her bedside, and please dont make any noise. I dont want to disturb her sleep.

Yes, maam, noted Hyein exclaimed, smiling while saluting Minji.

Everything is good ?

Yes, the banners are all up, the cakes are ready, the balloons are all in place, and oh, here is the flower, which you will hand on her.

Thanks Hyein

And hey, Min, you look pretty handsome today; it seems you will propose to Daniella.

Shut up Hyein

"Fine," Hyein said, laughing while she zipped her mouth.

At exactly 6:00 am, Ella's phone alarm went off, and she woke up.

Good morning, Baby! Happy birthday! James and Cathy greet their only daughter while holding the cake.

Oh my God, Mom and Dad, Thank you!

"Happy Birthday, Ella!" Hyein greeted her while presenting a gift to Daniella.

Thank you so much Hyein!

Happy Birthday, Daniella. Minji greeted her with a wide smile and presented her with a lovely bouquet of flowers

This is all Minjis Idea. Said by Hyein

Oh my goodness, Min! Thank you so much. Come here, Minji bear. I want to hug you.

Hyein made a fake cough. Looks like you guys are hugging for an hour. Dont forget we are still here.

Minji breaks the hug from Ella and punches Hyein on the arm.

"Ouch! That hurts."

Okay, guys, thats enough. Baby, you should fix yourself and go down to our kitchen. We prepare food for us, so let's go eat, James said to them.

----------------------

I had the pleasure of celebrating early in the morning with my parents and my close friends Hyein and Minji. Each year, Minji never fails to surprise me with her thoughtfulness. She is the embodiment of kindness and sweetness, and I feel like she is my soul mate.

I cherish our friendship and believe that we are inseparable. In fact, I shared with her my desire that even if we start our own families someday, we should still be connected. I envision our houses being next to each other, our children growing up together and becoming friends like us, and us always being there for each other during family gatherings and special occasions.

Minji simply smiled at my thoughts, but I think she may have been overwhelmed by my suggestions and thought that I was overthinking about the future.

I am busy reading my birthday greetings from my friends on social media when I accidentally bump into someone.

Oh, Im so sorry I said to her, not looking at her face because I was busy picking up the books that fell into the ground.

As she helped me pick up her books, she softly said, "I'm okay, it's fine."

My heart began to race as soon as I heard her voice.

Oh my god, dont tell me it's her.

Slowly, I lifted my face to meet her gaze. Our eyes locked and she smiled at me.

I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't breathe or move. This was the first time I had been this close to her, the first time I had heard her breath and the first time she had smiled at me. I realized in that moment that I was deeply in love with her.

I couldnt move, so she slowly guided me to stand up. This is embarrassing at the same time; it's heartwarming. She was holding my hand, and she said, Are you okay? Do you feel hurt

No words escaped my lips. I stood there, captivated by her beauty.

Im Haerin, by the way. She said, still holding my hands.

Yes, that was the only word I said instead of telling her my name. Oh gosh, Im so stupid.

She said, Goodbye, Daniella. Take care. Slowly, she let go of my hand.

"Oh, good Lord! She knows me. She knows my name!"

I watched her leave, but when she was not too far, I called her.

Haerin! Are you available now to have lunch with me?

Oh God, where does that courage come from?

She stopped, looked at me, and smiled. Of course. Lets go now, she said.

-------------

At the cafeteria

Earlier, I had this gigantic courage in me, and now that Im with her, she's sitting in front of me. All the courage I had shrank back to the point where I couldnt say a single word to her.

What do you like to eat? she asked.

Anything I just mumbled.

She went to the counter and ordered food for us. I dont know what food she ordered, but I will eat whatever it is. Oh, god, please bring me back the courage I had earlier. I can't afford to have a wrong impression of her. I can't afford to lose this opportunity to be with her.

As she returned, she carried a tray of food and placed a plate of pasta in front of her. She then offered me a plate of salad and a separate dish of strawberries and carrots. I was pleasantly surprised that she knew about my love for vegetables and carrots.

"Wait," she said, "I have to get something."

Upon her return, she had a small cake in hand. Written on the cake were the words "Happy Birthday, Daniella."