City Hall

Anni's story begins with an encounter between her parents in a Parisian coffee shop, where her father, a professor at WWU, was on sabbatical. It was there that he met Anni's mother, whose artwork adorned the walls of the café. Their connection transcended mere admiration for art, leading to love and ultimately marriage. Anni's birth followed soon after, marking the dawn of a remarkable journey for the gifted child.

From an early age, Anni's brilliance shone through her academic endeavors, propelling her to excel in school and leap several grade levels. Her intellectual prowess paved her path to Harvard University, where she pursued higher education in the field of Social Sciences. Armed with a PHD from one of the most prestigious institutions, Anni harbored a passion for understanding and addressing the social issues plaguing communities.

Upon completing her education, Anni sought to immerse herself in hands-on research, particularly focusing on the social dynamics behind book bans in conservative states like Florida. This drive led her to apply for a position as a city librarian, eager to witness the decision-making processes firsthand.

Anni's tenure as a city librarian provided her with a front-row seat to the complexities of local governance. In one pivotal City Hall meeting, she bore witness to Pastor Vic, the mayor and head of the City Council, exploiting his position to advance an agenda rooted in white nationalism and America-first ideals. The room swelled with citizens donning red "American First" attire, setting the stage for a charged atmosphere.

The meeting commenced with the customary rituals: a roll call, followed by the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. Pastor Vic, known for his fervent displays of patriotism, emphasized the phrase "Under God," asserting its significance in affirming the nation's adherence to Christian principles. Holding aloft a $10 bill, and loudly said "In God We Trust" as he touted it as evidence of the country's divine governance.

Anni, seizing the opportunity to challenge misconceptions, raised her hand to address the assembly. She eloquently corrected the narrative, attributing the inclusion of "In God We Trust" on currency and "Under God" in the Pledge to President Eisenhower's era in the 1950s and not the founding fathers. Pastor Vic, visibly perturbed, attempted to deflect her assertions, asserting the nation's Christian foundation.

Undeterred, Anni invoked the principle of separation of church and state enshrined in the very first freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." The mayor responded, "well that is some people's interpolation, not mine".   Anni replied, " America is not "religiously based," but instead is a constitutional republic based on the rule of law.  While some laws are based on morality, morality in itself is not solely based on religious belief. Morality is also influenced by empathy, cultural, societal, reason and Philosophical Principles.  An atheist can still be a moral and law-abiding citizen and not believe in God." Pastor Vic scoffed in response.

Anni continued by citing historical documents such as the "Treaty of Tripoli article 11," ratified by Congress in 1797 and signed by half of the original signers of the the Declaration of Independence that declares that "The government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion".  Her erudition and confidence unsettled Pastor Vic, who attempted to undermine her credentials by questioning the source of her knowledge.  

Pastor Vic then shouted out, "Where did you get all those liberal talking points? I mean where did you go to school and do you have a degree or something".  Anni replied, "Yes, I have a PHD in the Social Sciences from Harvard University".

In a display of ignorance and prejudice, some attendees disparaged Anni's academic achievements, dismissing her PHD from Harvard as emblematic of elitism. Despite the hostility, Anni remained composed, firmly asserting her expertise and alma mater.

As Pastor Vic attempted to regain control of the proceedings, Anni's defiance reverberated through the room, challenging entrenched biases and affirming the importance of knowledge and critical thinking in public discourse.

As Pastor Vic introduced the main topics of the meeting— the adoption of Pride month and the issue of the pride parade permit—citizens were urged to express their concerns in an orderly manner by approaching the podium.

The minister's wife, who also served as the president of the anti-woke-league, spoke first with fervor. She lamented the perceived injustice of allocating an entire month to the LGBTQ community while veterans, were honored with just a single day. Her sentiments resonated with many in the crowd, who voiced their agreement. She adamantly demanded that the council reject the adoption of Pride month.

Following her, Miss Anni stepped forward, countering with a poignant argument. She clarified that Veterans Day was a national holiday recognizing the sacrifices of military personnel, both men and women, in uniform, whereas Pride month served as a societal acknowledgment of the struggles faced by the LGBTQ community, akin to Black History Month or Women's History Month. Despite interruptions from the crowd, she steadfastly pointed out the prevalence of abuse and assault experienced by women, minorities and others, underscoring the need for broader societal understanding and empathy.

When challenged on the relevance of these statistics to Pride month, Miss Anni drew parallels to historical events that shaped the LGBTQ rights movement, such as the persecution of gay men during Nazi Germany, the Stonewall Riots, and the HIV/AIDS crisis. However, her attempts to educate were met with derision and chants of "woke" from some attendees, drowning out her voice.

Despite the chaos, the City Council urged order. Anni returned to her seat, her message momentarily eclipsed by the fervor of the crowd. Seizing the moment, Pastor Vic, visibly agitated, called for a vote on honoring Pride month. The room fell silent as no voices spoke in favor, but erupted into cheers at the motion to deny.

With the declaration of Pride month rejected, chants of "America first" reverberated through the room, underscoring the divisive atmosphere. Pastor Vic, now composed, restored order before continuing to the next order of business: the approval of the Pride Day Parade permit.

As the meeting progressed, Pastor Vic's wife returned to the podium, her rhetoric dripping with disdain. "Why should we condone a parade for a bunch of perverts?" she questioned, her words laden with bigotry. "It's the queers, the immigrants, liberals, and colored people that are dragging our great nation down," she declared, inciting cheers from a portion of the crowd. However, amidst the applause, some individuals in the audience shifted uncomfortably, visibly disturbed by the divisive language.

Following her, Anni stepped forward, attempting to offer a perspective rooted in inclusivity and progress. "The Pride parade symbolizes the celebration of acceptance and the attainment of rights that other Americans take for granted," she began, highlighting milestones such as the legalization of same-sex marriage in 2015. "It's about recognizing the struggles and victories of marginalized communities, whether it's the right for mixed-race couples to marry or the hard-fought battles for women's suffrage and voting rights for people of color," she continued. However, her message was drowned out once again by the fervent chants of "Woke, woke, woke" from segments of the audience, indicating a refusal to engage with the underlying issues of equality and justice.

Someone in the crowd shouted out, "Gays ain't normal, they's perverted and should be locked up".

Miss Anni, unshaken, continued, "What you consider as normal is not reality". How many of you know that 35% of women can expect to experience physical or sexual abuse in their lifetime or that 11% of girls can expect to be molested or even that 8% of women in the military can expect to be sexually assaulted."

Someone in the crowd yelled out, "Sounds like a bunch of Woke talk to me and what the hell does that have to do with Queer's parade permit?"

The atmosphere in the room remained charged with tension, exemplifying the stark divide between those advocating for progress and inclusivity and those clinging to outdated biases and prejudices.

Pastor Vic, again visibly agitated, called for a vote on approving the pride parade permit. The room fell silent as no voices spoke in favor, but erupted into cheers at the motion to deny.

Defeated, Anni left the room to cheers of "America First" from the crowd.

When the story continues Anni runs for city council and bravely fights the Anti-Woke league and their agenda.