May 1st

On the first of May, the long-awaited day arrived. The morning bell signalled the beginning of our first day of classes. As I walked into the classroom, I couldn't help but notice a tablet on every desk. Shortly after, Chabachira-sensei entered the room with her own tablet in her hand. Her expression seemed even more stern than usual.

It was only a matter of time before Ike made a crude joke.

"Hey, Sensei, have you hit menopause or something?" And true to form, he did.

"All right, your morning homeroom is about to begin. Before we get started, does anyone have any questions? If so, now is the time to speak." Chabashira-sensei completely ignored Ike's sexual harassment. She appeared totally convinced that the students had questions they wanted answered. Immediately, several students raised their hands.

"Um, I checked my point balance this morning, but I didn't see any deposits. Points are given on the first day of every month, aren't they? I couldn't buy juice this morning." Hondou's curiosity was focused more on the points rather than the tablet itself.

"Hondou, I already explained this before, didn't I? Points are deposited on the first day of the month. I've confirmed that points were wired this month without any issues."

"Um, but...nothing was deposited into my account, though."

Hondou and Yamauchi exchanged glances. Ike appeared too shocked to notice them looking at each other.

"Are you kids really that dumb?" Chabashira-sensei's tone dripped with contempt, sending an ominous chill through the room.

"Dumb? What?"

As Hondou stupidly repeated her words, Chabashira-sensei looked at him sharply.

"Sit down, Hondou. I'll explain once more." she said.

"S-Sae-chan-sensei?"

Hondou, taken aback by her unusually strict tone, slumped in his seat.

"Points were deposited. That much I know for certain. There is absolutely no chance that we forgot about anyone in this class. To think so is ludicrous. Understood?"

"Well, even if I tell you that we understand, we haven't received any points..."

Hondou, still perplexed, began to look dissatisfied.

"Ha ha ha! I see. So, it's like that then, teacher? I think I've solved the mystery." Kouenji boomed, laughing.

He propped his feet up on his desk and smugly pointed toward Hondou.

"It's simple. We're in Class D, so we didn't receive a single point."

"Huh? What are you talking about? They said that we'd get 100,000 points every month—"

"I don't remember hearing that, though. Do you?" Chuckling, Kouenji boldly pointed at Chabashira-­sensei.

"While he certainly has an attitude problem, Kouenji is exactly right. For crying out loud, barely anyone seems to have noticed the hint I gave you. How deplorable."

In response to this sudden turn of events, the classroom exploded in an uproar.

"Sensei, may I please ask you a question? I'm afraid I still don't understand." Hirata raised his hand. He appeared to ask on behalf of his classmates rather than out of selfish concern. Just as I'd expect of the de facto class leader. Even now, he took the initiative.

"Can you please tell us why we didn't receive any points? We won't completely understand otherwise."

That was certainly true.