Chapter 4

Twenty Dollars-Worth of Love

Chapter 4

I felt my head throbbing hard. It was very painful, like it's going to explode any moment now. I tried to move my head a bit, but I failed miserably.

"Stop moving, you'll hurt yourself," an unfamiliar voice said sternly.

I opened my eyes; shutting them quickly when an irritating bright white light appeared.

Dear, God! Am I dead already? I thought to myself.

"And you're not dead yet," the same voice said. 

Opening my eyes again, everything became clearer in my vision. The ceiling and walls were painted white, the door was white, the curtains were white and the bed I'm lying on was white. Everything was awfully white.

I scanned my surroundings: to my right is a small window which is partly covered with white satin curtains. My front view was just a door with a mirror so I can see the hallway outside. The number 25 was written backwards, because I'm looking from the inside. And to my left is a small wooden table (also painted white) with a vase that contains several daisies, which gave the room an ounce of brightness. Beside the table was a visitor's chair, and someone was sitting on it.

He was wearing a hoodie. Again.

"W-Who are you?" I said, my voice is raspy probably because of my dry throat.

"I'm your knight in shining armor, and you're the damsel in distress," he answered.

"Ha-ha, very funny," I said sarcastically.

I heard the door creek and saw Dane coming in. She was carrying a tray full of food and her clothes are still the same from yesterday's.

"Oh, Sky! How are you feeling? Here, eat this," she said placing down the tray on the table. I got the plate and started eating. I'm practically starving.

"I'm fine. How long have we been here?" I asked.

"14 hours," she said.

"What!?" I said stopping my spoon in front of my mouth.

"Yes, the doctor said you were practically frozen because of the sudden coldness of the ice that hit you. I called to your house and Selma said your Dad left for a business trip and won't be back 'til next week," she explained, sitting down on the side of the bed.

"And you brought knight in shining armor here with you?" I asked raising an eyebrow at her.

"You know I can't drive you here," she said.

"Why? Can't the guys from the ambulance drive?" I said confused.

"You fell on the floor and I panicked. I just grabbed anyone in the cafe and Alex here was kind enough to drive us here and stay with us all night long," Dane said, emphasizing the last three words.

"Really?" I said turning my head to Alex' direction.

"Really," he said as he removed his hood and--

Oh My God!

My knight in shining armor is psycho guy?

This can't be happening!

My blue eyes widened in shock as I stared at his perfect face. His hair was more messy than before, and he had slightly dark bags under his eyes. He was grinning like an idiot but damn, he looked sexy. And I looked like..

What do I look like right now?

I scanned the room for a mirror, and there was one hanging beside the door. My curly hair was pointing at every direction (as usual) and my blue eyes were darker than usual.

"Oh, Sky. You don't have to worry about what you look like," Dane said.

Dane, oh, Dane. Of course I don't have to worry about what I look like in front of you because you're my best friend, but what about in front of sexy Alex?

I rolled my eyes at her and laid back down on my hospital bed. I closed my eyes and tried to analyze everything.

Number one, I was hit by an ice berg and was frozen after it hit me.

Two, I've been driven here in the hospital by Alex because Dane can't drive me here.

Three, we've been here for fourteen hours and I don't know when can I go home.

"When can we go?" I asked, not opening my eyes.

"Today, if you can," Dane answered.

"Yes, I think I can," I said.

"Alex will drive you home," I heard her said.

"What? I can drive by myself," I said flashing my eyes open.

"Sky, if you want to go home today, you can't do anything but rest," Dane said placing her hands on her hips.

I groaned and closed my eyes.

Number four, Alex will drive me home.