Alone In The Dark

The Artemis hung in the void of space like a forgotten tomb, its once pristine hull now marred by centuries of neglect and the scars of a catastrophic disaster

The Artemis hung in the void of space like a forgotten tomb, its once pristine hull now marred by centuries of neglect and the scars of a catastrophic disaster. The salvage crew from Erubus 4 approached the derelict vessel with a mixture of anticipation and apprehension. Rumors of valuable technology and archives had drawn them to this relic, but the ship's tragic history cast an ominous shadow over their mission.

Captain Nara Voss stood on the bridge of her salvage ship, the Erebus, her eyes fixed on the looming form of the Artemis. She turned to her crew, a hardened group of specialists handpicked for this high-stakes operation.

"Listen up," Nara said, her voice cutting through the tense silence. "We all know the stories about the Artemis. A malfunctioning power core, a flood of cosmic radiation, and a crew that vanished without a trace. But that's ancient history. Our job is to get in, retrieve anything of value, and get out. Stay focused and stick together. We don't know what we'll find in there."

The crew nodded solemnly, their faces etched with a mix of determination and unease. Among them was Zane Riker, the ship's lead mechanic, his cybernetic arm gleaming under the harsh lights of the bridge. Beside him stood Asha Patel, the team's medic, her dark eyes sharp and assessing. Rounding out the group were the twins, Lena and Kai Orion, experts in data retrieval and analysis.

As the Erebus maneuvered alongside the Artemis, the crew prepared to board the abandoned ship. They donned their protective gear, checking and double-checking their equipment. The airlock hissed open, and they stepped into the umbilical that would connect the two vessels.

The first thing that struck them as they entered the Artemis was the oppressive darkness. The ship's systems had long since failed, leaving only the faint glow of emergency lighting to guide their way. The air was stale and heavy, carrying the scent of decay and neglect.

"Power's out," Zane said, his voice muffled by his helmet. "We'll need to rely on our own light sources."

The crew activated their shoulder-mounted lamps, casting eerie beams of light into the gloom

The crew activated their shoulder-mounted lamps, casting eerie beams of light into the gloom. They made their way through the silent corridors, their footsteps echoing in the emptiness. Around them, the remnants of life aboard the Artemis lay frozen in time—a half-eaten meal on a table, personal belongings scattered in hasty abandonment.