Chapter 5 - Coming Clean

Unspoken
Chapter 5
Coming Clean

Ezra let out a sigh, "Well ever since Zeb punched me my face has been hurting really bad, it's painful for me to eat so I haven't been able to eat much. I know the lack of nutrition is affecting me, I'm really dizzy and don't have much strength. I'm sorry I let you down master."

Kanan gave him a disproving look but then let out a sigh, "It's not that big a deal. You annoying Zeb is pretty standard, him punching you is also pretty normal. What did you do anyway?"

"Nothing really, was just being stupid."

"Another thing that's pretty normal." Kanan smirked playfully. Ezra rolled his eyes. "Well then we'll take it easy and go light until you're able to regain your strength. Maybe Hera has some soup we can make you."

"Thanks Kanan, milk fruit smoothies are fine but hardly sustainable."

"Yeah, you and your sweet tooth. Sugar provides energy but it's a quick burn."

"Obviously."

"Well you better start eating soon kid, we're going to start missions again, can't have you passing out on me in the middle of a fire fight."

The boys went back inside, it was time for lunch, Ezra was hoping to have some soup like Kanan mentioned, just secretly nervous, worried that it might be something spicy or highly seasoned. Thankfully the broth and veggies that they had in stock were bland enough so Ezra was relieved. Kanan sat eating a sandwich while Ezra sipped his soup. It actually did feel nice, it was warm so it soothed his aching jaw and tender tongue. The small pieces of veggies were soft enough that he could swallow them without chewing. Kanan finished first and went to clean his plate. Ezra took another bite of soup, this one had a large piece of vegetable in it, he swallowed hard and started coughing, it felt like it stuck awkwardly in the back of his throat. He hacked it up and spit it out. Or at least he thought he spit it out. He looked down at his napkin and gasped, it wasn't a vegetable. What was that? It was something somewhat small but large enough to be noticeable, it was white and jagged shaped. He gasped, was it a tooth? Were his teeth falling out because his mouth was so dry and he wasn't using them to eat? He frantically felt along his face and rubbed his tongue against his teeth. Everything felt normal, he didn't feel like anything was broken or missing. He looked down at the hard white chunk and frowned. Maybe it was some hard piece of random vegetable? He pushed his concern to the back of his mind and went back to eating, the rest of his lunch was uneventful, perhaps it was just a fluke.

"Hey guys, we're back." Sabine walked into the main room.

"Any word from Hera on our next mission?" Zeb asked, carrying a small cargo container.

"Nothing yet." Kanan shook his head, he sat down with the holopad to relax.

"I think I'm gonna go to my room." Ezra announced as he put his dishes away and grabbed a cup of milk to go.

"Get some rest, use this time for reflection and meditation, don't strain yourself."

"Yes master." Ezra turned to go, Sabine watched him carefully. Something felt off.

Ezra went to his room and sat on the floor, setting down his milk and wrapping himself in Kanan's blanket. He was still a little worried about the whole soup thing but kept shaking it off. It was nothing! He cleared his throat and drank a few sips of milk, his throat was starting to feel sore and irritated, probably from the lack of moisture like Sabine said, but it still made him nervous. He knew he wasn't sick but it still reminded him of when he had gotten sick a few times really bad when he first joined the crew and after his mix up with the germs on Pyre. He remembered what the germs had warned him, that he would be compromising his immune system by harboring them. Was that why he wasn't getting better, was his immune system so weak now that a bowl of spicy chili could ruin him? He let out a frustrated groan and closed his eyes, he couldn't think things like that, he had to clear his mind and meditate. He put one of Sabine's lozenges in his mouth to help him center and stimulate saliva. He rubbed his jaw, the lumps were still tender and warm to the touch but they did feel a little smaller. It was slow going but maybe this was working? He couldn't wait to eat solid and flavored food again soon! It was talking forever.