━ 14: Deservedly Wicked

Sure enough, the weapon Mrs. Quimby had stolen from Hayes was dead on target every time, but the Wendigos in their shifted form were not so easily destroyed. At first, in the chaos, it was hard to tell, but the beasts were moving quickly and weapons were firing sporadically and as the smoke cleared it became apparent that they were shaking off fatal injuries like paper cuts. Worse yet, their friends were coming in for backup behind them. There had to be about fifteen or so, total. They congested the space like fog.

Cairo lowered his handgun, watching with horror as the wounds he'd successfully inflicted closed up, flesh mending and bullets falling uselessly. "They're regenerating."

Only Rome was actually getting anything done. Cairo jolted and ducked, rolling away from a screeching Wendigo coming straight for him. He already had to reload. He shoved in a spare magazine, making a mental note not to waste any more bullets until he figured out a more effective way of dealing damage. And they needed to find something effective fast. Between the sounds of explosions and monstrous growling, if this went on much longer, they'd all go deaf.

"We used that one for vampires, Rome!" Father called over the din. "Silver bullets. Must bother 'em."

So they didn't like silver. Excellent. Now if only Cairo actually had anything silver on hand. Dammit, he should've grabbed his stuff from upstairs while he still had the chance. There were hunting weapons in his traveling bag.

"Berlin, get behind us," said Rome in a voice so commanding that Berlin jumped and actually did it. Wounding them was irritating and slowed them down, at least. Tokyo was holding off two of the women at once with her bare hands, ignited in flames. Vienna quickly got the silver memo and grabbed for a nearby object, twirling it into a silver dagger.

That was when Shanghai emerged with the children, Antalya and Paris. To his dismay, Taly quickly rushed into the fray, making Father swivel.

"No, I didn't say I wanted them in the fight, Shanghai!"

Antalya snatched the firearm from Cairo's hands faster than he could react, making him spin. Her reflexes were unmatchable. She stuck out her tongue as she ran.

"What—how do you even know how to use that? Get back here!"

"Revenge is sweet, brother!"

Little sisters. "I said I was sorry for knocking you unconscious!" he protested irritably.

Unarmed, he was quickly cornered by the nearest Wendigo, the female whom Berlin had recognized. He had the sinking feeling she'd been there the day Berlin escaped with his life; it was in her eyes, a vendetta. She pressed him closer to a table, where Jasper was trying to duck from the fight.

Cairo thrust out an arm, fumbling for a knife or anything useful. Jasper beat him to it, flinging his hand towards the monster and shouting a rushed incantation. She was hit by the force of his spell, knocking backwards and crumpling to the floor. Cairo turned feverishly to the frat boy.

"You saved my life," he said disbelievingly. There was a split second of blinking pause.

"Your life?" Jasper spluttered. "I don't care about your life! That thing could've eaten me!"

He opened his mouth and then closed it. Thanks anyway. He glanced around. Someone was missing. Where was HQ? She couldn't possibly still be sitting in the security room.

She came running breathlessly down the stairs, ponytail flying—just in time to put herself between Antalya and a Wendigo, snatch her up, and slide out of the way of his looming claws.

She was able to distract him just long enough to send him Richard's way, where he was sprayed with a mountain of bullets that, while nothing close to fatal, bought time until Rome or Vienna could do something more substantive. Cairo narrowed his eye, realizing HQ was armed with his weaponry.