Chapter 20: Prince Cevlion Part 1

Author's Note: Sorry this worldbuilding section was so long. I know I got a bit carried away with it, so if you would prefer to skip ahead to the actual chapter, here's an annotated flow chart with the essential information. But if you want a little bit of extra lore/context, then I suggest reading the full worldbuilding section.

Worldbuilding: Rontak Imperial Army Structure

Lower Armies

Armies below the Imperial level, such as those maintained by Counts or Viscounts, are referred to as 'lower' armies. As their individual noble commanders are responsible for training and organizing these armies, there are no universal quality or organizational standards throughout the Rontak Empire.

Hadeki (pronounced: had-ek-e)

Hadeki are standard Rontak infantry, freshly recruited from a Count's army. After joining an Imperial army, recruits are required to pass a basic training regiment to make sure they're up to Imperial army standards. They carry a spear, a scutum-like shield, and a short sword on their belt. Some hadeki instead choose to become skirmishers and use slings or javelins.

Kardeki (pronounced: car-dek-e)

The kardeki are the elite ranged infantry of an Imperial army. Though less prestigious than frontline combat, they are still an essential part of warfare. These soldiers started off as hadeki trained in slings or javelins. Expanding on their existing abilities, kardeki are trained to use warbows to great effect.

Tradeki (pronounced: trad-ek-e)

After serving for five years, hadeki are promoted to tradeki. They are older and more experienced heavy infantry than hadeki, but they are equipped with the same gear. These soldiers are the backbone of Imperial armies. Cavalry, wyvern knights, combat engineers, and the land dragon division draw their recruits from the tradeki.

Rondeki (pronounced: rond-ek-e)

Tradeki that serve for ten years are eligible to be recruited into the rondeki. These are the most elite standard infantry of an Imperial army. They receive additional training in more advanced combat forms, compounding the lethality granted by their experience.

They wear heavier, more durable armor than hadeki or tradeki, and their weapons are made of mithril rather than iron or steel. They wear purple caplets over their armor, signifying their first-rate status.

Rontoradeki (pronounced: ron-tora-dek-e)

Only recruited from veteran rondeki, rontoradeki have unparalleled skill at arms. They are given highly secretive martial arts training from ancient kingdoms across Kraffnia that have long since been conquered. They are clad in full mithril armor and carry adamantium-tipped weapons and adamantium-reinforced shields. Rather than serving as infantry in the army, rontoradeki act as bodyguards for high-ranking nobles, including the Emperor, earning them the nickname 'Imperial Guard'.