34.

crossroads

K.PHILLIPS

               Beatriz had seen my best friend die right in front of her eyes. Finding out something like that struck a nerve that I didn't even know existed. I felt lied to and betrayed; I felt played with, and I mean every part of me including my heart. I didn't want to believe her, I only wanted to un-hear her, until I read her lips over and over and realized that none of it was fake. This was real life and not a movie, yet it was the biggest plot twist to man kind in my mind. From her seeing it happen, to realizing that Tristan Moore's cousin actually was innocent, then to finding out that a lame suburban boy from the Woodlands was Drew's killer all along. Omar was the cold blooded killer, who hid in the shadows and hallways of Greenwood high, and in the streets like a lunatic who had no control over his fingers.

           "He shot you!?" I yell in a panic.

My eyes didn't know where to look as I began looking Beatriz up and down as she held herself, before looking to her eyes, then to the cops, then back at her, and then all over again.

           Beatriz's pretty doe eyes were wet and dull as she held onto her waist and stomach area. Her hands shook as she began to panic like me, and the blood transferred over to my hands after I sandwiched hers and proceeded to press against her wound. I was shaking, losing my mind in the inside as I yelled for officers to help out.

           "She was shot! He shot her! Somebody help her!" I shouted while pulling her into me. "Aye! Help!"

           "K-Kareem, I'm scared." She cried before looking over at the cops that rushed over to us. Her chest still moved up and down healthily, and I could feel the rapid palpitations coming from it as well. It relieved me to see her crying and looking around, and still having enough strength to hold on to me tightly instead of becoming weak like someone who was about to lose their life.

         So I held her just as tight.

         It was no time to be mad at her no matter how I felt. Yeah I was confused, angry, and simply messed up in the head about this, but I was more scared than ever. Even while watching the cops run over to us to aid her, as well as the firefighters who were first responders, I still felt like I'd been going crazy. I wanted to stay strong and keep a hold of my sanity, but just the thought of losing her tonight would end me. To have seen my brother die—my best friend, and then to be shot by the same person that killed him seemed so parallel. Only this time, I was here to support her in a way that I hadn't been for him. I was here with the intention and desperation to see her survive, because this time I was at least aware and present. I just hoped that this time no one would die.

         She couldn't die.

        "Where were you hit?" An officer ran over and asked her.

         Beatriz's eyes were wide, and her breathing was heavy as she pointed at her side and shook her hands frightfully.

"Come with me, please? We have to put pressure on your wound so just keep calm." He told her. "An ambulance is on the way. Let's go ahead and also have someone get in contact with your parents."

Beatriz nodded at them as quickly as she could, her eyes darting around as she cried in fear of losing her life. I watched them take her to the side to ask her questions, and work around her wound to stop the bleeding. They made sure she could see by asking her to count how many of their fingers were up, trying to keep her calm. However she still seemed to hyperventilate, scared for her life and crying as she gave them the numbers.