41 - Hayley

Anger tears through me, and I unfurl my wings, casting aside my cloak. I fly right at the monster man who's at the head of the table. But I am trapped in a strange suspended animation, my wings open, my hand holding my cane tight, my other holding a blazing purple flame.

The man stands up. He is tall, wearing a crisp, black suit with a blood-red tie. His hair is black and slicked back, and a scar runs through his right eye, his left one also blood-red. His skin is pale, like Drecca's, and his fierce expression is enough to unsettle me. But he is the one who's holding me in midair, his dark magick holding me.

"Ah, you must be the girl." The dark demonic man walks in a slow circle around me.

"Hayley!" Drecca roars, but his voice breaks, and he groans in pain. I can sense that the others are also frozen, unable to even speak.

The man beams at me, his fangs glistening. "Ah, yes. Hayley. Hayley... Moon, right?"

I can't move or speak, and he chuckles. He readjusts his suit jacket, and then smooths his already smooth hair.

"My name is Donovan .... and I am the Lord of Demons. Yes, I am the father of your precious little Drecca. He is in fact not powerful enough to fight me, girl. And honestly, neither are you."

I glare at him.

Drecca tries to stand up, but Donovan whirls, and snaps his fingers, then flattens his hand. Drecca screams and collapses to the floor. Donovan laughs, his glee something dark and twisted.  As he whirls to me, his dark expression grows a bit more twisted.

"Ah, little Hayley," he says. "I sense you are more powerful than even Drecca himself is. Oh, how wonderful this is! Hahaha, this is incredible! Oh, Hayley Moon.... you are indeed a powerful being. Maybe I could have some use for you...."

Donovan paces now. He stops suddenly, and seconds pass, and I feel it, too. Someone is coming. Someone powerful. He knows this. Donovan turns to me then, a bright look in his good eye.

"Oh, Hayley... this is incredible! Truly amazing! Your fear is summoning your mother! The great goddess Hykait will be here, just to save her dear daughter! Her dear, sweet children will be saved. Oh, how amazing. How ... truly wonderful."

He turns his head and grabs Drecca, pulling him upright. He is held by the throat.  "Oh. How lovely this place is, isn't it, Drecca? You've built a lovely little home, haven't you? You are indeed my son, and indeed powerful. But not more powerful than I, or your dear sweet girlfriend."

There's suddenly a loud thunderclap, and the whole house shakes. A flash of dark purple light, and I am falling onto the table below me. A woman stands in here, now. Facing off with Donovan. He stares at her, awestruck.

She wears a flowing, silver dress. Her hair is flowing in a phantom wind, its white color shining like the moon. She stares at him, and from the angle I'm in, I see the twinkling glow of amethyst eyes. She has pale, moonlit skin, tattoos line her arms and legs, and her back and neck. They are runes, all various colors and all different sizes and shapes.

And extending from her back, I see two beautiful, feathered wings that are iridescent. She opens them, their glow so bright it is hard to look at them. She steps forward, inching closer to him. Drecca growls at his father, but the demon ignores him.

Hykait snaps her fingers, and there's the sound of a tinkling metal, then, wind whips through the room. Tiber is there, helping me off the table. I clutch my cane, and he holds onto me as if he's scared of losing me.

The wind dies down, and Tiber and I watch, eyes wide as Hykait steps up, and pulls Drecca from his father's grip. She smiles at him.

"Thank you, dear Prince Drecca. For helping my daughters and son."

Drecca looks at me, confused.

"She's talking about the voice in Hayley's head," says Donovan. "You knew she was real, you know she's a demon too."

"Yes," says Hykait. She gently turns Drecca toward us, then he runs to my side. He presses a kiss to my forehead, and then steps between Tiber and I and his father. Donovan laughs.

"Oh, Hykait. This is too good! You truly think you can save your children? You think you can do anything to help them?"

Suddenly, I'm standing in front of Donovan. He grabs hold of the collar of my shirt, yanking me up off my feet. Hykait snarls, and Donovan ignores her.

"Time to show you some true power, girl."

And then, the pain starts.