Chapter 1

BLOOM WITH MAIA

Maia's POV

My birthday will be in three (3) days and here I am still wondering how my life would be.

I will be 24 in a few days but I feel like I was already left behind. Though some may say I'm still young, I can still chase my dreams and not rush with anything. Still, I can't help myself to worry and be pressured about the future. I'm ambitious, some say I'm already a success because I passed the Licensure Examination for Teachers and Civil Service Examination, even a professional passer-- but still, my emotions are telling me that I lack in many ways. And I believe my feelings are valid.

My life is a mundane one, a typical Filipina who is striving to get out from the beds of rags and hoping to land in riches. An average person who works hard and only does the standards set by morality. I adhere and only follow the good principles in life, and never in my life did I do something that I would regret.

Some of my colleagues and friends mentioned that I am a risk-taker and independent woman. Probably because they observed how I worked to where I am now. I remember when I was in college, I used to sell vegetables in our local market, study in the afternoon, and teach online to foreign students in the evening just to pay for my expenses in school. Everything from that time was difficult, physically, mentally, and emotionally draining but I ignored it all for the reason that I had no choice. And I believe, someone out there also experiences the same thing with me. Growing up is harder especially if you have no one to support you.

Currently, I can say that the quality of my life has already improved even though sometimes, my pocket still runs dry. I am working as a private school teacher and am supporting my brother's studies and finances.

I snapped back into the reality when the speaker in the seminar I am attending now called everyone, "For those who haven't still have exes yet, go in front." My colleagues quickly pointed at me, knowing I never had a boyfriend. I marched in shame since everyone in the room already had their exes and I'm the only one who had none.

I'm just 23 and it's okay to have no experience with love, right?

--
mys <3