𝟗

Thom doesn't wake you until dawn, when Rye's awake. You frown at him, annoyed that he didn't share the burden of keeping watch with you, but you still rise and stretch. The ground begins to shake again, but it doesn't stop. Thom and Rye look just as shaken as you are. Then it all clicks. The Gamemakers have set off an earthquake. The building begins to groan and sway. You need to get out. Thankfully, everyone's already good to go. You hurry down the stairs one by one, and practically fly out the doorway as the building collapses. Rye, at the back, only just gets out in time. You only pause for a second before you're running off again.

You head north, near a pile of rubble far from any buildings. Once you've reached it, you scramble to the top and grab onto the biggest piece you can get. You don't move for hours, at least. A few cannons go off. When the trembling dies down, you all sit up, slightly dazed by it all. Rye opens the pack and gets out your breakfast. You eat with Rye this time, hungry from the running. Thom just shakes his head, not bothering to take in anything. He just grabs the lighter and practices wielding it in a fight. It makes sense, as it's the only thing you have for him to use, and he can't be weaponless just in case you get ambushed.

You and Rye spar, discarding your weapons at the peak of the rubble mountain, throwing punches and kicks. You don't put any force into it, but it's good to practice. Of course, just as you're far enough away from your weapons, the pair from 2 and Saffron come charging at you. You yell at Rye "Run!" before sprinting up to your bow yourself. You reach it just as Rye is running down to attack Saffron.

You try to yell out again, but you have to dodge Romana's ax swinging towards you. Dodging it, you aim and shoot at her, but she turns to take it to her dominant arm instead of her heart. She hisses and stops to remove the arrow. You take this time to aim for Saffron, who's back is turned to you. Unfortunately, Remus yells out at her as you shoot, causing her to duck, and send your arrow sailing into what's behind her. You'd just gone and shot Rye in the abdomen. He falls to the floor, bleeding, as you run over and grab his spear, impaling her with it easily.

At this point, your legs give way and you collapse by his side. Remus and Romana have retreated, but that doesn't matter now. Nothing does. You lift Rye up to rest on your knee, his skin paling as the life pours out of him. His eyes stare into yours, fearful of the end. You gently murmur to him, trying to keep him calm. " Shh... it's okay. I'm gonna sing you a song, okay? Try and picture it, it'll help. You'll be fine." You begin your childhood lullaby, the most effective song you know.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your eyes

And when again they open, the sun will rise

His eyes flutter shut, and his body barely moves. You carry on, knowing he's still alive and listening.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away,

A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray

Forget your woes and let your troubles lay

And when it's morning, they'll wash away