00. Trauma at Its Finest

THUNDEROUS
PROLOGUE
(italics means they're speaking in chinese!)

             Tick, tock.

             The clock strikes twelve, noon.

             Han Lee-seo feels like throwing up. The world is spinning, and her vision is turning white. She looks down at her expanding stomach, and she gasps in surprise.

             Well, that's not supposed to happen.

             She's walking down the busy streets of Beijing, and her cries of pain could be heard from a mile away. A man, around her age, rushes to her side and leads her into a nearby alleyway.

             "Um, excuse me, but I believe you're pregnant," his Chinese is fluent, and Lee-seo can understand it well. She's not sure if she trusts a random man on the street to help her give birth, but his warm smile and sweet voice convinces her otherwise.

             He helps her give birth, because, according to his words, he's a trained obstetrician. Even though Lee-seo is obviously single, she thinks this guy is nice. He hands her the newborn baby, and starts to get ready to leave.

             "Wait," Lee-seo calls out, sitting up against the concrete wall. The man turns back to face her, and the words get stuck in her throat.

             "Do you mind if you stay with me? It's okay if you don't want to of course, I'm not forcing you to, and you might be married or something like that—"

             The man walks up to her, and holds her hands, stopping her from rambling. "No, it's alright, I'm actually not married, and I wouldn't mind staying with a pretty girl like you."

             Lee-seo feels her cheeks go red, and she grins. The man introduces himself as Yang Jihoon, and he helps her to her feet, and walks her and the newborn back to his home.

             A couple of months later, there's a knock on the door. Han Imogen, (or Ginny, her preferred nickname) the three-year-old daughter of Lee-seo, calls for her mother to open the door.

             Lee-seo opens the door, and there stands a tall man adorning a silver monocle on his right eye. He stands firmly in front of the door, his presence walking into the house unsolicited.

             "Sir, this is trespassing, you can't come in here—"

             The man remains inside the house, and walks into the center of the living room. He stops, and starts to speak.

             "Where is the child?"

             Lee-seo has no choice but to call out to Jihoon. He steps into the living room, holding the baby girl. Jihoon looks at the old man slowly.

             "Allow me to introduce myself," the old man says in a calm manner. "My name is Reginald Hargreeves, and your child has proven to show extraordinary abilities that would be sustainable in changing the world. I would like to take the child into my own hands from now on. So, how much do you want for it?"

             The couple looks confused. They look at their child, and back at Reginald. "What are you talking about? 'How much do you want for it?' Why would I want to give my child to you?"

             Reginald's expression is stoic, almost cold. As Lee-seo speaks, he does not show even the slightest bit of emotion. Instead, he asks again, more venom laced in his words.

             "How much do you want for the child?"

             Lee-seo was conflicted. In one reality, she could give the baby to Reginald, but she would lose her child. She always wanted to start a family after adopting Ginny, but it was still so strange. In another, she would force this man, for one: she didn't know, and two: he entered her house without permission, to leave and live the life she always wanted.

             However, the man still had the same unbothered expression on his face, as if he didn't want to be kicked out. She looks at Jihoon, her newly acquainted partner, and gives him a look of desperation. What do we do?

             She only wants the best for the newborn, and Lee-seo really, really, doesn't want to give the baby up, but she has no choice. She doesn't want to find out what the unknown man will do if she refuses.

             Lee-seo takes the child from Jihoon's hands, and he gives her a look of regret. Are you sure you want to do this? Lee-seo can't help but feel tears in the corners of her eyes.

             I'm so, so sorry.

            Without thinking twice, she hands the baby to the old man, and he leaves without saying anything.

             Kim Lee-seo feels like the world has shattered around her. The world has betrayed her, and her vision becomes blurry. She doesn't even know what's happening when Jihoon kneels beside her, kissing her forehead and telling her that everything will be okay.

             (Spoiler alert, it's not.)

KEI'S NOTES

KEI'S NOTES

ahhh prologue is finally out!!! me 🤝 writing angst
i'm so excited to finally start writing again, i loved creating a decent storyline for this fic, jihoon and lee-seo are my fictional parents lmaooo