Chapter 18: Shouts and Whisper

On the way back to our tent, a striking sight greeted us. A Muggle family, one of which is the guy who works as camping coordinator, was floating in mid-air, surrounded by figures in dark cloaks. Their mouths moved incessantly but no sounds ever came about, presumably silenced by the wizards.

"Pure-bloods," snarled Mr Weasley. "They enjoy Muggle-torturing, making a statement, all that sorts - it used to be a sport back in the day, too. I bet good old Lucius is enjoying himself there."

While speaking, the elder brothers Charlie and Bill along with Mr Weasley drew their wands and pushed through the crowd to apprehend the perpetrators. Those who met our eyes merely moved past with barely a tinge of guilt, declaring this cruelty none of their business.

However, the dark wizards noticed several approaching them and quickly Apparated - not before one of them got their arm sliced off by a shadowy projectile. Though panicking, the wounded could not afford to stay and abandon his severed arm.

Though it's satisfying to punish at least one of them for all they've done, apprehending those dark wizards and risk exposing shadow magic is not worth it - Voldemort might even hear about it when he returns, and none of them will actually be punished given the connection pure-blood families have with the Ministry.

Mr Weasley, understanding such truths, merely looked slightly disappointed before returning to our side. This incident is not over just yet, however, as a loud voice, this time causing mass panic among the crowds, rang out:

"Morsmodre!"

A Skull from which a Snake emerges, glowing in eerie green, appeared on the dim sky. It reeks with malice but not Dark Magic, as its real horror lay in the psychological unknown.

Mr Weasley turned serious, nodded to both Charlie and Bill:

"Get everyone back to the tent and do not come out until I say so."

We were then led back, through the panicking surge of people, some shouting for their family members, popping noise of Apparating left and right. All that coupled with the fading light of day caused any festivity to disappear, as our group all wore grim expressions.

"What was that mark everyone is afraid of?", asked Hermione, after a while of walking in silence.

"It's You-Know-Who's mark, Hermione," answered Bill, his face hidden in the shadows, "Mum and Dad told me it appears whenever Death Eaters has murdered someone. The despair they must've felt when it appeared above my grandparent's house... I was too small at the time to understand."

While the eldest Weasley was explaining this to his younger siblings and Hermione, I commanded my shadow to follow Mr Weasley and show me the situation there - just to check if Barty Crouch has been seen yet. Apparently, the Ministry Wizards, more specifically Amos Diggory, has found the house elf Winky, and Mr Crouch has yet to arrive.

However, Winky has apparently contacted her master, as the middle-aged, stone-faced wizard soon appeared from thin air and swiftly refute charges against him and fire the house elf, who was shivering in a fear.

Confirming Barty is now back with his father and Winky no longer there to protect the latter, I recalled the shadow. In the tent, Ginny, Hermione, Ron and myself had an unspoken agreement and together went in one room. Breaking the silence, Ginny asked me:

"So... Do you reckon You-Know-Who's back, Harry?"

Taking a deep breath, I confided from the original's memories:

"I saw a vision of him, over the summer. He's with Wormtail, really weak - it must be one of his followers, confident about their master."

"Wormtail?", questioned Ginny, slightly tilting her head and staring me hard in the eyes.

"Yes... the one who sold out my parents to Voldemort. He escaped last year...", I glanced at Hermione, receiving a nod, "...when we free Sirius Black, my godfather. He's wrongly accused, by the way."

Hermione chimed in to fill in the gaps in my story, choosing to trust Ginny with the truth of the wanted "murderer's" charges. Both of them then turned to be, interrogating about how accurate or reliable these visions might be and if I've told anyone.

Excusing myself under Ron's increasingly persistent gaze, I stepped out from the room, closing it behind me. It appears most of my preparations for today has been for naught - though I don't regret it, as being safe is much better than feeling sorry after bad things happened.

I slipped out again, back into the familiar mind space. The voice greeted me, this time with a predetermined request:

"Your summoning time has reset, sir. The pre-ordered item 'Whisper' of Khada Jhin, League of Legends universe, has been summoned."

The panel showed, filling up my vision:

Harry Potter, Summoner Level 3

Chest Acquired: 0

Summoned:

- Zed's Shadow & Armor (Complete)

- Board Games collection

- Perfected Shimmer (2 doses)

- Jhin's Whisper (Deadly Flourish)

- Time until next summoning: 8d 23h 59'
Store: (Unlock at level 10)
Augments: (Unlock at level 5)
Special Items: (Unlock level 10)

The interface closed as soon as the progress bar for Whisper was completed. The voice notified:

"Unlike Zed's Shadows, Jhin's Whisper is not a part of the host's body but a tool, much like a wand, which consumes stamina and magic to use. As it's not currently used in tandem with Blooming Lotus Trap, the cost would not be as high. Please exercise caution nonetheless."

Agreeing wordlessly, I put the weapon back into inventory and found myself back in the real world again. Although I would not be able to deal much damage to Death Eaters yet until Voldy shows his face, using occasional dark wizards for target practice would be quite helpful. Grinning wordlessly, I merged into the shadows and back to my room, all alone, waiting for the moment we return to the Burrow.