Now What?

“How was your night?” Aster asked after a few moments of silence, unsure how to start a conversation.

“It's going nice. Especially hearin’ you play makes a nice addition to the Daisy Dukes.” She said and smiled, taking a drag of her cigarette holder.

“I've been practicing a lot. I always had a problem with playing the low f's but tonight I suddenly got them. And my fingers aren't sore, which is odd, since they normally do after hours of playing, but for some reason I don't have that tonight.” Aster looked down to his fingers, his hands rougher than usual. He looked over the counter and sees a paper napkin and started folding it.

“That reminds me of a poem I read a few days ago. It was about death I believe. I read it in a magazine, it's called the Crisis. Not well known, but I believe it will soon be a hit!” Aster folds the paper napkin open, admiring the pattern he folded into it as he continued rambling. They waited for their drinks and food, him talking about poems, songs and instruments and whatever comes to mind. Without really thinking he rambled and rambled, letting the words flow out.

The bartender placed the two red wine glasses down along with the two servings of wings and was about to walk away, when Daisy got her wallet out.

“How much?” She asked as she searched in the wallet.

“Uhm… Mrs. Ray… this is your hus-”

“Yes yes, but tonight I’m here as a patron, not an owner. Now, how much?” She quickly paid the man and grabbed her wine glass, looking back at Aster who already bit in a wing.

“Thank you, these are so good!” Aster shouted while he grabbed the second one, viciously biting into it.

Surprised by his eagerness for the food Mrs. R swirled her glass before taking a light sip.

“Didn't you eat anything today, honey?” She chuckled and watched.

“No, I had a busy day.” He explained before swallowing the huge bite. The proprietress held one of her own wings and bit into it, the warm tender flesh easily coming off the bone as her canines dig in.

For a while they both ate, Aster like carnivorous beast and Daisy with a lot more finesse than him, slowly enjoying the taste along the wine that Aster didn't even seem to realize until he ate all six of his wings, only leaving clean bones on his plate. Using the folded napkin, he cleaned his fingers and the corners of his mouth, acting a lot more sophisticated than before. He grabbed the untouched wine and swirls it around like Daisy did a few moments before and watches the red liquid flow in a circle. He brought the glass to his nose and smelled it, his nose bridge crunching up as he quickly pulled the glass away, his whole face contorting. The wine smells sweet, fruity but at the same time acrid.

“Are you sure this is good wine?” He asked, suspicious of the red liquid. With a chuckle Daisy placed her used napkin next to her 6 fleshless bones and chuckled. “I’m quite sure Aster; that is just how alcohol smells. I assure you the taste is better than the smell,” she brought her glass to her lips. “Just try it.” The blue-eyed musician stared at the wine glass before sighing and slowly bringing it to his own lips, the liquid making its way towards his mouth. As soon as his taste buds processed the taste Aster almost shot the wine back out, his hand holding the liquid in his mouth before it escaped. He swallowed the wine and placed the glass back down before groaning, the taste still in his mouth.

Daisy watched him, surprised by his reaction and looked worried. “Are you alright, honey,” she asked.

“It's nothing Mrs. The taste just… surprised me.” Aster said and smiled, holding his hand out for a bartender, quickly ordering a glass of water.

“Not a wine kind of guy?” She speculated and let her smile fall.

“No no Mrs. R. I just never drank any alcohol before,” Aster disclosed quickly and smiled. “I just have to acquire a liking for the taste.”

“Don't force yourself.” She advised him with a soft smile.

“There you are Daisy,” a gruff voice says, Blaise emerged from the crowd, followed by his bookkeeper, his gaze scanning around. Aster looked away from the wine glass and saw Mr. Ray kiss Daisy's forehead. “I thought you went upstairs.”

“I just enjoyed a little time with Aster.” Daisy explained and smiled up into her husband's yellow glowing eyes, receiving an equally loving smile back. “Well then. Ruby said he has to get back to the hotel before eleven so I’m driving him around,” the man explained and ignored the violinist completely. “I just wanted to ask if you’d like to say goodbye to Ivy.” Daisy looked over to Aster, awaiting his reaction. The lad smiled a reassuring smile.

“Yeah.” Daisy said and stood up as she took her husband's hand before turning back to Aster. “Thank you for your company. Have a good night Aster.” With a sigh Aster soon got up and took his own leave; the car it is.

The streets were mostly empty; some people were still making their way home, some walking hastily in hopes not to get mugged. Most of the cars were parked, standing still and silent as if they were dead. Aster walked down the street, still wearing his blue suit and fedora, looking up into the cloudy and fumes-filled sky, not a single star in sight.