Starry Night

Exhausted from the day's events, we lay sprawled about the back of the wagon that somehow continued on its way, driving itself. The sun had begun to set not long ago behind the distant hills, Venix Port far behind us. According to Torin we were headed towards the small town of Ranorik, to help some of the residents.

 The wagon paused and came to a rest at the top of a hill, the clouds above shifting between beautiful shades of pinks, oranges and purples. It was so peaceful. Like a scene out of a book. Or a painting. The tall sea of prairie grass surrounding us danced in the wind, and the entire world appeared to have been dipped in gold. I breathed in deeply, and shut my eyes, listening to the grasshoppers chirp, and the occasional bird crying out as it returned to its nest for the night.

 I wished I could live here in this moment forever...

 Maybe I could.

 Maybe I should.

 I would certainly miss my mothers, but I could visit from time to time, and—

 "Wren?" a voice asked softly. Koral.

 "Mhm?"

 "I got you something."

 I cracked open an eye. "What is it?"

 "Fresh clothes," she whispered.

 Well, that got my attention. I bolted upward instantly. "Where?"

 Koral smiled. "Right here." She handed me a bundle of black cloth. "You can come with me. I know a spot where we can change."

 "Where are you going?" Torin mumbled from where he lay on his back in the grass. The second the wagon had stopped, he'd flung himself onto the ground and told us to keep it down while he napped.

 "If you must know—"

 "You know what? Forget it. You girls have fun."

 I cocked my head, and couldn't help but smile. This was the first (if not second) normal conversation I'd ever had with Torin. And it was... really nice.

 "Come on! Let's go fast before it gets dark."

 I grinned and ran after Koral down the hill. We walked until we reached a spot where the grass rose up over our heads. "We can change in here," she explained. "Shout when you're ready, or if you get lost, and I'll come get you out."

 "Alright."

 The grass swallowed me whole, the second I stepped inside. I found myself eternally grateful that Koral was in here with me, because I was already lost. I unfolded the bundle of clothes, finding a loose pair of shorts and a matching T-shirt. Maybe there was a dress code here...

 I pulled them on, and let out a sigh as the impossibly soft fabric caressed my skin. Best. PJ's. Ever. What was even more surprising was that they fit perfectly. Huh. Must be magic. A giddy smile spread across my face. Who would have guessed I'd end up here one day, a world literally made of dreams, wearing magical pajamas?

 How lucky was I?

 I twirled, and the clothes billowed out around me. My grin widened, and I looked mischievously out around the field. Why call Koral now? Surely I could spare a few minutes to run around.

 A laugh echoed throughout the fields, and I froze.

 Something burst out of the grass behind me, and tapped me on the shoulder. "You're it," Koral whispered in my ear, and bolted away. Her laughter carried back to me as she danced through the grass.

 "It's on."

 I whooped and sprinted after who I thought might just be my soul mate, my new best friend.

_____________

 The moon was high when we made it back to the wagon. There was grass stuck in our hair and all over our clothes. Our cheeks were bright red from the now icy wind and constant running. I felt alive and free and amazing.

 Torin was... still asleep, and I bit down on my giggle at seeing him sprawled out on the ground. His face was calm, his dark brows relaxed and his hair looking pure silver in the moonlight.

 I looked away the second I realized I was looking, and turned to Koral. She had laid out two cushions and blankets. I dove straight onto mine, fighting the urge to groan as I sank into the cushion. It was so soft. I swore my eyes rolled into the back of my head when I let my muscles relax, willing my body to release of all it's tension.

 A giant yawn escaped me. I was, so tired.

 The breeze swept back my hair, and I ran some fingers through it. It felt longer. Hmm... Much longer than it could have ever gotten in two days. It almost touched my shoulders. I wondered...

 "Koral?"

 "Hm?"

 "How long have I been here?" I asked, gazing up at the many stars above. There were more stars than I'd even thought possible, each twinkling and some dancing across the inky sky. It would take millions of lifetimes to even count them all. I sighed. It really was a sight to see.

 "What do you mean?"

 "How many days have I been in Somnium?"

 Silence reigned while she thought. "I would guess about three weeks."

 My pulse seemed to falter. "But... I thought—"

 "Time works differently here," she explained.

 My mouth popped open. "My moms—"

 "Will not know any different. Your body is too heavy to transport here. Only the mind may enter. So, physically, you are still wherever you when you came into Somnium."

 "The tree house."

 "Tree house?"

 I nodded. "I was led to a tree house in the forest that surrounds my cottage. It was surrounded by golden mushrooms, and when I stepped inside, I found myself here."

 "Mushrooms..." she said, as if she were deep in thought.

 "What about them?"

 "Oh— nothing right now. We should get some rest."

 What are you hiding, Koral?  But I seemingly let it go. I knew I wouldn't stop  to get some answers first thing in the morning, after some much needed sleep. "Alright," I answered and closed my eyes.

 "Wren?"

 "Yes?" I murmured drowsily, more than ready to drift off  to sleep in this absolute heaven.

 "How are you feeling?"

 "If I died right now, I would be happy."

 A laugh. "Morbid much?"

 "At least this isn't a random concrete sidewalk."

 "I have to agree with that..."

 A chuckle escaped my lips, which, like my eyelids, were beginning to feel heavy.

 "Good night, Koral."

 "Night, Wren."

 "Good night Torin," I whispered.

 A loud snore answered, and I bit down hard on my lip to keep from bursting into laughter.