Bubba

Juliana's POV

"I love the beach. What about you?"

Taking in a deep breath I turn my head, ignoring the grains of sand that press into the side of my face.

"It's really peaceful. Especially when there's no one else around." Closing my eyes I listen to the waves crashing against the shore. There are seagulls, somewhere in the distance, making a ruckus.

"Sissy?" Opening my eyes I see that Jeremiah is no longer laying in the sand next to me. Instead, he's sitting up, staring at the ground.

Plunging his hands into the sand, he allows it to fall through his fingers, shaking off the excess. "When you die, will you meet me here?"

His words startle something in my brain and I too bring myself to a sitting position. Swiping the brittle sand off my face, I turn my body so that I can get a good look at my little brother.

"What are you talking about Bubs?" I ask softly, reaching over and giving his necklace a light pull in hopes to turn his attention back to me. It's the same one we all have. A small, purple and blue rose pendant.

"When you die, can we come back here? I'm too scared to do it by myself." He whispers the last part, staring out at the ocean with a strange type of longing in his eyes.

Warning bells go off in my head as I reach over, grabbing Jameson by the waist. I haul him over to me, setting him in my lap as I wrap my arms around him.

"Too scared to do what?" I ask, but get no reply. "You don't have to be scared bubs. There's nothing scary out there." I try again, motioning with my head out to the water.

Jeremy just hums, leaning back and turning his head to look me in my eyes.

"Just promise me."

The promise practically falls from my lips faster than my brain can comprehend it. Looking satisfied, Jeremy smiles up at me brightly. A complete 180 to the hardened fear he had previously.

"Daddy should be done with dinner now."

Like clockwork, I hear Dad yell out our names, telling us to come wash up. Jeremy wastes no time jumping up and sprinting towards the door of the little cottage we had rented for the weekend.

He slips past dad, disappearing through the cottage door before I can even stand up. Staring through the now empty opening, I can't help the shiver that works its way down my spine.

It's like someone had turned on a blast chiller, canceling out the previously warm summer air.

Turning my head back towards the once peaceful ocean, I feel a sense of unease and dread. Maybe Jeremy was right to stay away.

"Juliana, we're back." Gino's voice has my head snapping up as I try to blink away the confusion. My head feels foggy, and my whole body feels really heavy. Looking around through squinted eyes I can see that we're in the car.

"We're back at Uncle Stefano's. Let's go." Gino demands, getting out of the car and slamming the door.

Still rubbing away the sleep in my eyes, I try to remember how I got here. I remember thinking Grandpa was trying to murder me. Then seeing a baby horse. Then getting to walk around on a bigger horse. Then we left.

And where did we go? Oh, the park. Yeah, that's where we went. We met up with everyone else at the park once they were done walking the trails.

I know Jamie and Justin, who is definitely still mad at me by the way, going off on their own. I ended up tagging along with Gino and Elliot.