Chapter Nine

"Err..." Caelus muttered, his voice tinged with an unfamiliar resignation. Today, he had conceded defeat—not in a physical battle, but in grappling with a situation entirely foreign to his usual encounters. As Acheron dragged him through the dreamscapes' ever-shifting scenery, his hand firmly clasped in hers felt more like a constraint than guidance, making him feel less like a renowned Trailblazer and more like a child.

The dreamscape shielded him from physical pain, making his journey across the rough terrain merely uncomfortable rather than agonizing. However, mentally, it was a different kind of ordeal—an assault on his pride. Sideways glances and smirks from ethereal passersby pricked at his ego, sparking a desire to vanish into obscurity, perhaps finding solace in the anonymity of a shadowed alcove.

"Acheron... are you perhaps... upset with me?" he ventured cautiously, recalling the subtle signs of irritation he had observed in past encounters with Bronya and Seele during IPC operations. To Caelus, emotional cues were as cryptic as hieroglyphs without a cipher, yet he prided himself on a certain level of proficiency, even if others might question his accuracy.

Acheron's response was a continued silence, her grip unyielding, her gaze steadfastly forward as they moved through the luminous fog.

"Ugh..." Caelus groaned aloud, partly from discomfort and partly from exasperation, desperately wishing for an end to this humiliating procession.

After what felt like an eternity but was merely five minutes, Acheron finally halted at a secluded corner of the gardens. This spot, framed by a lone bench and dotted with softly glowing posters, overlooked a ledge that offered a serene view of meticulously manicured lawns shimmering under a starlit sky. The celestial bodies above cast a gentle radiance over the blossoms and leaves, bathing the entire scene in an ethereal light.

Abruptly releasing his hand, Acheron stepped towards the ledge and rested her hands upon it, her gaze lost in the sprawling gardens below. Each star seemed to cast a spotlight on the dew-kissed flowers, turning the garden into a spectral array of light and shadows.

Relieved, Caelus slumped onto the bench, a heavy sigh escaping him as the weariness of his ordeal manifested. He massaged his wrist, feeling the red flush of pressure slowly fade from his skin, returning to its normal hue as if to erase the physical reminder of their discord.

For a moment, he simply watched Acheron. Her silhouette, etched against the backdrop of the starlit garden, took on a posture of contemplation or perhaps detachment. It struck him then—the weight of the day's events: the chaos, the unexpected confrontations, the fleeting alliances, and the lingering glances that unveiled vast, uncharted emotional landscapes.

The garden, with its serene beauty under the tranquil assurance of the night sky, almost mocked the turmoil that had led to this quiet moment. Here, under the guise of starlight, the dramas of the day receded, leaving behind a stillness that begged for reflection.

Caelus, typically an action-oriented spirit, found himself unexpectedly disarmed by the calm. Reflecting on the day's tumultuous events—from his unexpected arrival in the dreamscape to his confrontations with enigmatic characters like Sparkle and Black Swan, and a near-death encounter with a creature of nightmares—he felt a mixture of exhilaration and apprehension. Amidst the danger and unpredictability, he discovered a strange sense of adventure and kinship.

Yet, as he sorted through these thoughts, Acheron's softer voice cut through the quiet. "I'm sorry for what happened earlier. I didn't mean to act that way," she said, her tone laced with genuine regret.

Caelus blinked, his attention abruptly drawn back to Acheron as she continued to gaze at the enchanting gardens sprawled before them. The weariness he felt was palpable, marking his spirit with each step through the dreamscapes, yet a spark of curiosity flickered within him, anticipation building for whatever Acheron was about to unveil.