Chapter 19

Dedicated to YunLeei

~^°^~

Sylvia and Thalia were both in deep thought during the ride. Thalia tried reading her book but Lucan's words were fresh in her mind leaving her puzzled. What did he mean by he was interested? Sylvia was too stunned to speak, she kept opening her mouth to speak before closing it when she couldn't get the right words. Her right leg hit the ground repeatedly a clear sign of her anxiety.

Thalia closed her book not being able to take it anymore. She held both of Sylvia's hands in hers and caressed them softly. She let out a sigh when Sylvia wouldn't look at her. The latter had already guessed what she'd say.

"Love, you know he's not a kid anymore," Thalia said softly. Sylvia pouted clearly pissed.

" I know, but is he really worthy of my baby? Lia, when you first confessed to me, you told me about your dark past, you opened up to me, you said you wanted us to be one in the same. You wanted our hearts," she intertwined their fingers, " to be locked together as one, with nothing to separate us, not even death. This is the vow we took. That's the kind of love I want for Damon. I'm worried that Lucan's words implied courtship, and if he was, would he really put Damon before his duties? Before his family and honor? I just..." She tightened her grip on Thalia's hand.

Thalia nodded knowingly. She understood her worry. She reached out for the back of Sylvia's neck and pulled her head to her letting it rest on her chest. Sylvia wrapped her hands around Thalia, moving closer to her and drowning in her warmth and comfort.

Thalia started humming a song that was long imprinted into her memory. She gently ran her hand through Sylvia's hair. Sylvia's scent was a mild sweet scent. Thalia couldn't place what it was since she wasn't all that good with scents like Sylvia was. She however knew that she hated the fact that Sylvia's scent was mild. She loved her scent and one whiff always ended with her craving more. She internally claimed Sylvia did it on purpose to drive her mad with want. She nuzzled her nose in her hair and took in a deep breath.

"Your scent is intoxicating," she said in a low voice. Sylvia simply giggled and nuzzled herself closer to Thalia. They enjoyed the comforting silence keeping close to each other for warmth.

Thalia's hand stopped stroking her hair abruptly and her head shot up. She sensed something. Her pupils contracted as she felt a large amount of mana directed to them.

"Oh, shit!"

She quickly reacted, grabbing Sylvia and jumping towards the carriage door, using her back to cushion the impact. They crashed into the carriage door breaking it open. A sudden explosion was felt behind them, sending them rolling on the ground from the impact. Thalia wrapped her hands around Sylvia as they rolled on the ground, not wanting her to get  hurt and get bruises. They finally came to a stop with Thalia on the ground and Sylvia on top of her. Thalia couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief. Her calm was short-lived as her pupils dilated in realization. They looked over at the now overturned carriage which was set in flames.

"Bruce?" Sylvia cried out as she saw his body a few feet away, blood trickling from his head. She wasn't sure if he was alive or not but that didn't stop the tears from falling. They both stood up. Sylvia tried moving forward but Thalia held out her hand blocking her instructing her to stop. She took out her claymore and took her stance.

"Fire user, show yourself. I can sense you," Thalia said calmly, keeping Sylvia behind her. A tall figure wearing a black hooded cloak appeared beside Bruce's body. Their face couldn't be made out in the dark of night but a slight smirk rested on their lips.