LVI: Intruder

As the carriage rolled on, Anneliese gazed out the window, soaking in the sights of her beloved homeland passing by. Though she rarely ventured beyond the palace walls, she cherished the rare occasions when she glimpsed the vibrant life of Bluistain's streets and its bustling populace.

As tears threatened to spill from her eyes, Anneliese found her heart heavy with grief. She glanced at her mother, curled up in a corner of the carriage, sleeping peacefully with tear tracks staining her cheeks. In that moment, Anneliese felt utterly alone. Her father was gone, Zion was gone, and Cynfael might as well have been dead to her.

She didn't got the chance to say goodbye to Caspian. Her dear friend. He's been with her since they were kids. He's the only one who treated her as a friend — not a princess. The mere thought of the crimson-eyed boy gave her comfort amidst of everything that is happening around her. Analiese's eyes dropped down to her wrist, where a silver charm bracelet with gold and rubies were. It was the birthday gift of Caspian and the only thing that she can hold on to.

Anneliese couldn't help but wonder if this overwhelming grief and pain were akin to what Caspian had experienced when he lost his sister. She could still vividly recall the shattered look on his face, the emptiness that clouded his once bright eyes. Was this the agonizing weight of losing someone dear? It was a sensation she had never encountered before, foreign and disconcerting. Yet, the raw ache in her chest left her in no doubt that it was a pain devoid of hope, consuming and relentless. 

Speaking of Caspian's sister, Saoirse mentioned before that it is her — the reason why Zion died. In the vast halls of memory, Analiese could still trace the delicate contours of that fateful evening when she first encountered Serena. The debutante ball, a whirlwind of silk and music, held an unexpected treasure within its midst. Amidst the aristocratic airs and rehearsed smiles, Serena stood out like a beacon of authenticity. She was the first to extend a hand of genuine friendship to Analiese, to see beyond the titles and obligations that weighed heavy upon their shoulders.That night marked the beginning of a silent admiration that would shape Analiese's aspirations, dreaming of a day when she could call her a true friend.

Despite Analiese's pleas, the Emperor and Empress forbade any further contact with Serena. Their reasons remained a mystery, hidden behind the veil of royal decree. Still, Analiese held onto her admiration, nurturing it like a fragile flame.

That flame was extinguished the day Caspian burst into her dorm room, tears streaking down his face, clutching a letter from Serena. The contents shattered Analiese's perception of someone who once looked up to, replacing admiration with a searing mix of anger and betrayal. Serena, it seemed, was not the paragon of virtue Analiese had believed her to be.

Anneliese grappled with the incomprehensible transformation of Serena, from the loving sister of Caspian to a seemingly different person overnight. She couldn't fathom how someone who had shown such kindness could inflict pain upon her dear friend. Anneliese's resentment toward Serena deepened over time, fueled by the profound change she witnessed in Caspian. He was never the same after that night, and she held Serena responsible for his suffering.

However, when news of Serena's death spread, Anneliese found herself at odds with her own emotions. Despite feeling betrayed by Serena, she couldn't ignore the anguish that consumed Caspian. His tears and pain in the wake of Serena's death puzzled her, forcing her to confront the complexities of forgiveness and empathy amidst her own anger and grief.

Something that she could never understand. Liese was filled with anger and hatred towards her brother and she knows damn well that if he died, she's the first one to let out a laugh and a you deserve it and rot in hell.