Chapter 4 (I) - Falling into Place

IV

"Come sit, both of you."

Chiang paced forward to join the Emperor with Shifu Hung beside him, his snug leather boots pressing tightly against the marble floor. Though darkened by the gloom of the midnight sky, the lighting inside the Emperor's suite cast the room with a soft glow, bringing stillness and calm to an otherwise tense moment.

The briefing in the strategy room had ended hours earlier, and most of Jakarta's twelve million-strong populace had already settled themselves for the night. Yet Emperor Alimin would meet and confer with his closest advisers during these late hours, wherein major decisions concerning the Empire would be made.

Chiang took some time to settle himself comfortably in his chair. Knowing Shifu Hung had already done so, he asked, "What is thy bidding, Shifu?"

Alimin spoke, hands folded in his lap in the monkish fashion. "You will assist Marshal Assegaf in investigating the weapons cache in Empang. Your task is to ensure all BKN resources are ready at his disposal. Report your findings directly to me, and I will decide what if any information will be passed on to Milintel. I won't have Prabowo and the others complicate matters by conducting their own inquiries."

Chiang took a moment to reply. "Thank you, Shifu, for giving BKN control of the investigation. But the Grand Marshal's presence is unnecessary."

The Emperor leaned forward, his eyes narrowed in interest. "You surprise me, Ahan (阿漢). Zack Assegaf was someone you knew from your past. Has he done anything to incur your disfavour?"

"None, Shifu. Not yet."

Alimin sat still, his silence momentary but purposeful. "Your reply conveys nothing. Provide me a better reason."

Chiang folded his arms, his gaze lowered to meet the Emperor's. "Marshal Assegaf has his hands full pursuing Siregar. He should return to Cilandak to resume his duties there. Rest assured, whatever we find in Empang shall be passed on to him."

"So you claim to speak on his behalf, have you now?"

"You've spoken highly of Assegaf's abilities many times, Shifu," Chiang exhaled. "And I admit the veracity of your insight. But I see no reason why an Army General should take charge of an investigation BKN can handle on its own."

"Handle on its own," Alimin repeated, putting emphasis on the last word. "What makes you think you can?"

"It was I who crushed the Triads, drove the Communists underground, and rooted out Siregar's lackeys within our intelligence agencies."

"Yes," the Emperor said. "And for that you've rendered great service to me, and to the Empire. But it was Assegaf who began what you finished. Had it not been for his unruly and treacherous kinsmen, he would've finished the job himself."

Chiang was about to continue his argument, but Shifu Hung threw him a sideways look, putting an end to all would-be outbursts. "Of course, Shifu," he said at last. "Forgive me for having overstepped."

Alimin shifted his gaze from Chiang to the Daoist priest and then back again. "Apologies accepted. You will come to understand why I decided to have you and Marshal Assegaf investigate this case together. For all we know, whatever you discover in Empang may lead us to Siregar's whereabouts."

"Yes, Shifu," Chiang said. "But I must ask, is this arrangement truly necessary? You could've just assigned Assegaf to the case from the start, and prevent BKN and Milintel from jurisdictional dispute, as had happened in the meeting earlier today."