~Sarah's P.O.V.~

I began my new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Well trying to stand anyway, I fell at the sudden movements and the rattling was gonna give me a headache for sure. I had no idea where I was going or what I was doing here. Also...I didn't know who I was. Only my name. Sarah. I knew how the world worked. Nothing but scattered images that made no sense or facts of the world that were nothing short of a dream.

I fell forwards, the strange elevator in which I found myself was dark, metal ground against metal. It was dark and I prayed my eyes would soon adjust. The lightless elevator swayed back and forth as it ascended, turning my stomach sour with nausea; a smell like burnt oil invaded my senses, making me feel worse. I wanted to cry, but no tears came; I could only sit there, alone, waiting.

Then the whole thing came to a halt. I looked up. It was still dark. Then as if by magic a line of light appeared overhead. I only saw shifting shadows until as if a camera lens had been sharpened and the shadows turned into bodies. People. Not just any kind of people, boys, the teenage kind. Some old, some younger. All different sizes, races, their hair of varying lengths.

It was disorienting, they stared and pointed at me, I didn't know what they were saying but I knew it couldn't be good. Hopefully it wasn't anything bad.

"A girl?"

"I got dibs!"

"What's she look like?"

"How old is she?"

I stand corrected. Animals. Then I froze, someone had jumped inside. The rest of the boys were questionable looking but this guy. He was not ugly in the slightest, dark hair that was perfectly styled, Asian features, muscles that flexed as he stood there staring at me. Tall, handsome, he was the whole package.He couldn't have been more than fifteen or sixteen years old. My stomach tied itself into a big knot. I felt like passing out, either that was because he was extremely hot or the sun I couldn't tell you.

He didn't take his eyes off my face. "You're okay. I'm not gonna hurt you."

His reassuring words did nothing to ease the knot in my stomach or my racing heart. "Who are you? What is this place? Why can I remember anything?" My voice sounded scared and pathetic. Like I was a little girl.

"Don't worry this is all normal, we've all been through this." He gestured toward the many boys standing above us. I'd gotten a better look at most of them and I was right, they were not easy on the eyes. Unlike the extremely handsome man standing in front of me.    

I was confused but too scared to ask him to elaborate. I whispered. "You're not ugly." It was stupid but I needed to focus on something else. Plus we were standing so close together. If I kept this up I'd need an oxygen tank.

He smirked. There was something extremely likable about it. "Neither are you." I bushed. He held out his hand. Who knew hands could be so beautiful. "Let's get you out of here."

I was still blushing. My face was hot. Like a tomato. Many boys stared at me but I wasn't paying attention to them or anyone for that matter. I was still thinking about the one who'd pulled me out of that dark elevator. But this gave me time to study the place. The place was in a vast courtyard several times the size of a football field, surrounded by four enormous walls made of gray stone and covered in spots with thick ivy. The walls had to be hundreds of feet high and formed a perfect square around them, each side split in the exact middle by an opening as tall as the walls themselves that, from what I could see, led to passages and long corridors beyond.

What was this place? So many questions but never any answers, I didn't really get an opportunity to ask so I just minded my own business and kept my mouth shut. I didn't know anyone and I just kept to myself since I didn't wanna get into any trouble. Although how much trouble could I get into with teenage boys? I can think of a few things.