Article of the Week: Should Christians Watch Horror Movies?

In some way or form we all know about horror movies, rather it be a murderous clown, or haunted house to even a possessed doll. We all have either watched a horror movie with a group of friends, read a scary book under the protection of our blankets, or even simply heard a ghost story around a campfire. I personally was introduced to horror books from a young age, you see paranormal, and horror often band together, and, in the books I used to read it was often there would be a hint of horror in them. Because of this, I was often told that what I was reading was not 'good' for me and it would ruin my mind but let's dive into that and truly see if watching or reading horror truly ruins us or not.

A user by the name of 'Godly_Girl_Habits' posted a video explaining why we, as Christians should not watch horror movies. In this post she explained, 'The movies in the horror genre are becoming less scary and simply more gruesome. In scenes where we used to be able to scream and then laugh later on is now becoming scenes where we are too stunned to even scream."

The user went on to say, 'These movies open actual portals for the unclean spirits. Anything that has horror and fear these spirits are present. They love to feed off our fear, even if it's just a little.' She goes on to mention how in movies even as simple as harry porter there are actually spells being said. 

Another user posted a list of horror movies openly mocking Christianity.

1:The Nun ll.

2: Deliver Us.

3: Pray For The Devil.

4: The Rite.

5: Sister Death.

6: The Exorcism Of God.

7: An American Haunting.

8: The Devil's Hand.

9: Thelma.

This user went on to say, 'I have never seen a horror movie which mocks Islam, Jews, Hindus, or any other religion. They always mock the one and only, Jesus Christ. They mock the truth, and the devil doesn't attack one of its own.'

Being bold, another user flat out said, 'Christians should not be watching scary movies' The user furthered their statement by saying, 'Watching these movies is introducing demons into your life, ask yourself how someone has this imagination to create this stuff?"

My own statement is, ask yourself why you are wanting to watch horror movies? What emotions are they bringing you? Personally, I prefer mystery/thrillers with just a hint of horror because that is what I grew up on and I know I can handle it. If you are souly watching horror movies because you want to be scared, then you must ask yourself why you want to be scared so badly?

I cannot tell you what to do, however I can advise you to pray to God about it. If you feel uneasy about horror, then seek out God and ask Him for wisdom on what to do.

He always has the answer:)