CHAPTER 01

Exactly one month later, on a heavy, rainy day with thunder echoing through the city, a desolate atmosphere hung over the abandoned warehouse. Underground, in a secretive, expansive room, the walls were adorned with various pictures marked with numbers and connected by threads like a vast conspiracy map. The dim light bulbs hanging from the ceiling cast a faint, eerie glow over the scene. Magazines, newspapers, and articles were spread chaotically across a large wooden table, bearing witness to an obsessive investigation. A half-empty coffee mug, stained with the remnants of countless late nights, sat on a rickety side table.

The room was filled with an air of intense focus and mystery. Every corner was cluttered with evidence and clues: photographs of people, locations, and events, all meticulously connected by colored threads to signify relationships and timelines. Detailed maps of Busan and other parts of Korea were pinned to the walls, marked with notes and symbols. The scent of old paper and stale coffee lingered in the air, blending with the faint mustiness of the underground hideout.

In the midst of this chaos, a lone figure lay on a broken couch, staring intently at a flickering television screen. The figure remained anonymous, shrouded in shadows and secrecy, a vigilante operating outside the boundaries of conventional law enforcement.

On the television, a news broadcast played, capturing the figure’s attention. The reporter's voice was grave as she delivered the morning's shocking update.

"Good morning, Korea. Welcome to C News. There is an important update for today. All schools and colleges have been closed for three days due to an emergency. The son of Mr. Kang, the famous industrialist, has been found dead outside Central University in Busan. He was hanged from the flagpole at the center of the university, and his body was displayed. The police suspect it was a heinous murder, as there are multiple bruises and cuts on the victim's body. The body has been sent for an autopsy for detailed investigation. As soon as the report is received, the police will reveal its findings.

"As for the suspects, there are no clues found on the victim's body, only signs of brutal torture. The body was also marked with a star and the number 1 written next to it. What do you think about this? Please let us know on our social media channel."

The person lying on the couch chuckled softly, a bitter sound in the silence of the room. They switched the channel to National Geographic, where a documentary was showing five bulls attacking a lion, leaving it severely injured. The scene resonated deeply. "Even the powerful and courageous get attacked when alone," the figure muttered, switching off the TV.

The mind of the anonymous person wandered back to the crime scene at Central University. The image of the victim, young Kang Min-ho, hanged and brutalized, was seared into their memory. Min-ho's body bore the hallmarks of prolonged torture: deep cuts, bruises, and the eerie symbol of a star with the number 1 etched into his flesh. It was a calling card, a signature that hinted at something far more sinister than a mere act of violence.

This was not an isolated incident. The killer was methodical, leaving no trace of evidence behind, only the gruesome tableau of his handiwork.

As they pondered the case, their eyes fell on the photographs pinned to the wall. Each one represented a piece of the puzzle they were trying to solve. Faces of potential suspects, victims, and associates stared back. Red threads connected them to locations and events, forming a complex web of intrigue.

One photograph, in particular, drew their attention: a grainy image of a shadowy figure captured by a security camera near the scene of one of the previous murders. The figure was always just out of reach, eluding identification despite the persons best efforts. They clenched their fists, feeling the familiar surge of frustration.