Chapter 4 The Principal

Aira woke up again in the hospital room. A robot was watching monitors and then looked at Aira. Its eyes lit up and it continued its tasks. A while later the health professional came in with a thin glass that lit up when he stepped in front of Aira.

"You are awake, that is good, your blood work showed no signs of poison or any other toxins in your system, and no events occurred during the night, so when my assistant gets your paperwork, you may leave." He spoke while looking at his board and not at Aira.

He left the room and started talking to someone outside her door. While he was talking Aira got dressed. She slowed down when she heard him say "Her blood came back". She tried to listen to what they were saying. They were whispering about someone's blood type and what was in it.

"This is what came back to you?" A deep unknown voice said to the doctor.

"Without a doubt. I tested it twice with a generous amount of blood. Give the results to them. I am sure they will make use of her, especially now that she is immune to some toxins in the Neutral Zone." The doctor sounded slightly intimidated by the deep voice.

"I'm on it. You are right they would love to have her," the deep voice said.

Quickly Aira finished getting dressed after the robot printed out her paperwork and headed out of the hospital to speak with the principal. The school was always small as well as the student population. The office building was separated from the actual school campus. Its brown doors were heavy since they were made to prevent attacks. The inside was nicely furnished with granite countertops and tiled flooring. A small wooden door in the back of the office with the tiniest widow was the entrance to the principal's office.

"I am here to speak with the principal." She said to the secretary at the front desk.

"Okay then, I will let him know," she said as she pressed a button on her headpiece and spoke into it, "Sir, one of the witnesses is here...yes I will tell her." She let go of the button and pointed to the door. "Go on, he is ready."

Aira shuffled into his room and sat down on the only other chair in the room.

"So, you are accused of being a descendant." His deep voice boomed as he turned his chair around dramatically.

"Yes, sir, and causing the pedibus accident," Aira said shaking slightly.

"Yes, that too," he said his dark eyes boring into Aira.

"Are you going to punish me, send me to the government for testing or MORS, or kick me out of school?"

He laughed, "No there is no need for that I know you didn't cause the pedibus accident and that you are no descendant."

Aira breathed a sigh of relief.

"However, protocol demands that you are tested."

"But sir..."

"I know it's unfair, but I hear you just came back from the hospital."

"Yes sir."

"Good so then we don't need to do anything," the principal said leaning farther back with his hands folded across his belly.

"Really?" Aira asked incredulously.

"Yes, all hospitals demand a blood sample be taken to see if the person is a descendant."

"Oh."

"Since you made it, that means your blood work came back negative; otherwise, they would have killed you on the spot."

Aira shuddered at the thought. She understood protocol but what would happen to the accuser, what about Alex? She made some serious claims and even if it was a joke, it was not funny. No one took these sorts of claims seriously, especially the people in charge. Aira thought that Alex should be the one punished, especially because Aira could be sitting in a cell at Karmainia or in MORS. She felt like Alex wasn't getting her proper punishment. Deep down she craved the satisfaction of watching Alex be punished, whatever it was. How she craved to see Alex alone and scared like Aira was every day.